MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 09-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Registered

Question Typhoon or Spyderfly

Im trying to decide between the typhoon kit and a spyderco spyderfly as my first balisong, either way id be spending 100 dollars, i like to make things but i think it could be a bit difficult to make a typhoon, and they both sound good and durable. could some people give me some reviews or comments on them to help me decide?

Also i was lookin around the internet for pennsylvania state laws against balisongs, some sites said i could and some said i couldnt so im lost on that as well

Help would be highly appreciated
Old 09-02-2004, 10:43 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to shooby
I can't help you in regards to PA state laws.

However, I own both a Typhoon and a Spyderfly, and I must say I like the Typhoon more.

The Spyderfly is a very cool knife (definitely worth owning), but I think it's radical design makes it less than ideal for more complex manipulations. It could just be me, but I always feel much more comfortable tossing around a BM or Typhoon than the 'Fly. Sure, you do have to assemble the Typhoon yourself.... but as long as you're a little patient with it and take the time to make sure you're doing a good job on it, it'll flip like a custom.

Ouch! I cut myself
Old 09-02-2004, 11:37 PM

Hi, it's me again...

Shooby gave the answer I expected...For what it's worth, I've seen and handled his Typhoon in person, and with little in the way of experience or available tools, he did a hell of a nice job.

Given the fact that there are no bolsters or scales to deal with, it's really not all that difficult to get a Typhoon up and running from the kit. Heck, you can do that in no time at all. It's all in what you choose to do with the kit after it's put together, in the way of embellishment (such as filework) that really affects the level of difficulty.

BTW-The handle which has been milled for inserts has a slightly higher degree of difficulty and requires a little more patience, but the reward is great.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 09-03-2004, 06:37 AM
Registered

iv heard that the typhoon can be a bit more difficult to manipulate because its very smooth and that u should get the handle skeletonized for better grip, would an inlaid handle help grip?
Old 09-03-2004, 08:16 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blasto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpyd3r
iv heard that the typhoon can be a bit more difficult to manipulate because its very smooth and that u should get the handle skeletonized for better grip, would an inlaid handle help grip?
If grip is your concern, and you're up for a project (sounds like you are already ), why no try some file work across it... maybe cross-hatching or something more artsy. It would truly be unique, and give that wonderful "sliding grip" that skeleton handles do.

Old 09-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Skilled

Hi X.., welcome! You may also consider just using the drilling template Alex has at KnifeKits and skeletonize the handles that way.

I think you'd be pretty impressed with the Typhoon in honesty. Very nice knife for the $$$

Hope you enjoy the Forums....

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"
Old 09-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Registered

first, u need the milled version to put in inlays right, and the milled version is out of stock, so when will they get them back in stock
second, im gonna get carbon fiber inlays with the milled version
third, before i order anything i need to know the status of balisongs in pennsylvania, iv heard thier legal and also that thier not legal, could someone help with this?
i want to use them and also carry as a defensive weapon

thanx
Old 09-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Skilled

Here's a page you can check out to get some of the "Legaleze" on edged-weapon carry in Pennsylvania X.., and it sounds like Balisongs could easily fall under the "Switchblade Act"....(which they do in most states)...., hence being included in the broad ranging term referred to most commonly as "Gravity Knife".

The word "otherwise" leaves prosecution measures pretty much up to a judge the way I read it, but I always suggest the same thing to anyone wanting to know about knife laws and what can be carried in any given jurisdiction.

-This Site-..., will tell you the basics of what is on the books in PA, and was put together by Bernard Levine who researches all this stuff intensively, but the best advice is to either call.., or go to your local City Attorney's office and speak to the public information folks for clarity about anything related to what may or may not be carried.

I have heard several guys (from PA) say it's legal to carry a 4" Balisong (such as the Typhoon) in Pennsylvania, but (a) they aren't Attorneys, Law Enforcement Officials, or (b) those that adjudicate matters related to possession of any sort of knife.

Bottom line, I think going by hearsay is a bit dangerous when laws are written in such vague terms. The wording used in Mr. Levine's excerpt seems to leave the decision to the discretion of a Judge in my opinion, and Balisongs aren't very popular with those in Law Enforcement, as I'm sure you know.

Calling the City Attorney's Office is free, and the real answer, so that's how I'd proceed in your place. In fact, you may want to take a picture of a Balisong to their offices and just ask a few folks, explaining how you plan to carry the knife, the blade length, etc.

I also have to add that if your primary purpose to carry a Balisong is for self defense, I wouldn't suggest that unless you are highly trained in offensive and defensive use of edged weapons, and also have a clear understanding of how the law defines "Deadly Force". Once you have drawn and deployed a Balisong in some sort of squabble, you'd better be able to demonstrate clearly that your life was on the line, and it wasn't because someone said..., "I'm gonna kick your ass." <~~ That is not "CAUSE" (in legal terms), to deploy any sort of deadly weapon even as a deterant, and you may (and probably will) face more serious charges than the folks that are bothering you if the law gets involved.

Let us know what you find out when you call. From what I'e heard (and again this is not from people I consider authorities on the topic), Pennsylvania is fairly loose with edged weapon enforcement across the board, but I'd check it out with people that deal with these issues in court on a daily basis.

Hope that helps...

Last edited by ExamonLyf; 09-04-2004 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Registered

check this out here for self defense
Old 09-04-2004, 02:27 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpyd3r
check this out here for self defense
Yup.., Clay's site illustrates the point I'm making very well, but you still need to find out if it's even legal to carry a Balisong where you live, then follow those (4) necessary mandates prior to using deadly force.

Old 09-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Registered

ill tell u when i call about it but in the meantime i was wondering when they are goin to restock the milled handle version typhoon for inlays? anyone know anything about it?

Tags
balisong, butterfly knife, knife, switchblade