MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast

Smile What to do with my new Helle blade??

Since joining the forum some time ago, I find knife assembling and sheath making GOOD!

After giving my first personal knife to my brother in law, I am going to attempt a second one, and have settled on the Helle Harding #99 blade.

It is a hidden tang blade, with a small stub on the very end, onto which, in production and kit knives, Helle apparently drives a hollow pommel nut, which to me, doesn't look very finished. Square peg...round hole, and all that. My neighbor built one like that, which is why I decided to go another way.

I want to thread the stub, which measures about 1/8 in. at the small end, and has a taper to maybe 3/16 in where it joins the larger part of the tang.

Is it doable to file the stub square, then use a 1/8 in die to thread it? The corners will be larger than 1/8, and should retain enough threads for a 1/8 in. brass cap nut to hold it all together.

Is there a better method?

Will this never end? My grandmoppet wants to be an FBI agent, and wants me to make her a neck knife.

Last edited by humminboid; 11-19-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Yes, you can do it that way although rounding the corners a little may make it easier. Your biggest problem will probably be the tang is probably too hard to thread. I think that's a stainless blade and probably full hard all the way through the tang. Even heating the end of the tang with a torch might not soften it enough, especially if they used an air hardening steel ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
blade, brass, files, fixed blade, hidden, kit, knife, knives, tang