MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 03-14-2003, 01:26 PM
Master

Send a message via AIM to jdlange Send a message via MSN to jdlange
Homemade castable refractory

Howdy guys,

I am trying an experiment this weekend and am wondering if anyone else has tried something similar. I am attempting to make a homebrew castable refractory, my mixture is thus: kitty litter (soaked for 3 days in warm water in a styrofoam cooler to reduce it to a clay consistency), wood ash and refractory cement that I had lying around in a bucket left over from something else. I tested the mixture using a MAPP torch (baked it under high heat until yellow hot) and it seemed to hold up very well, it turned as hard as rock and stayed hot for a long time afterward but only heated the front of the part where I hit it with the torch (this leads me to believe that it will reflect heat pretty well). I just finished pouring a mold using this mixture and will wait to see how it turns out, my only big concern is cracking as the water evaporates. Anyone else ever try anything like this before? Results? Different mixture?

Gilbert " Gib " Guignard
12/02/35 - 7/15/05
A man like no other.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Skilled

I USED KITTY LITTER AND PLAY SAND(SANDBOX) WITH A
LITTLE QUIK DRY CONCRETE.MIX TILL IT GOT STICKY .WORKS GOOD .I USED IT TO BUILD MY TIM LIVELY STYLE FORGE.

NT screaming gamecock Gann
Old 03-14-2003, 02:00 PM
Master

Groovy,

Did you end up with any cracking in the dried form? The reason I ask is that I am using this to cast a cylinder inside a pipe for use with propane, the refractory properties of the mixture appear to be effective but I am concerned about it cracking during the dry process and causing problems. I guess I will find out soon enough..hehe..it's drying right now.

Gilbert " Gib " Guignard
12/02/35 - 7/15/05
A man like no other.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:11 PM
Skilled

now if you have refractory it should be alright that stuff is used
in cat cracking units and heaters in oil refineries.

NT screaming gamecock Gann
Old 03-14-2003, 03:10 PM
Hall of Famer

JD mix in some straw, grass clippings or horse turds.

That will help it stick stay together, a little salt added will help it get hard, and then the stuff needs to be fired.

Check out some pottery sites or check the archives at www.keenjunk.com A guy in the last 3 yrs or so posted about homemade refrac.

CAt Cracking that's just plain mean

Old 03-14-2003, 10:54 PM
Enthusiast

unless a crack is very deep ignore it. if you must repair one make some more mix or thin some left over.
I used fire clay from a fireplace store, two big bags for 15.00. works great.

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, "Give me your best shot. I can take it."
Old 03-15-2003, 12:21 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to PS_Bond
FYI -

I've made up a couple of small foundries using a perlite & fire cement mix. 4 parts perlite, 1 part fire cement. The stuff I've got is good to (pause for a maths break) about 2800F. A 2" layer of that running a charcoal foundry only just starts to hit paper scorching temperatures on the outside. A large bag of perlite costs me about $4-5, 2kg fire cement around $9. Also does pretty well for a tin can forge lining.

I'll be making up another batch today to line my new forge.

Full details on the mix here - http://www.john-wasser.com/NEMES/MakeICR.html

HTH

Peter
Old 03-16-2003, 11:18 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Try reading this page:

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/refractories.html

Bentonite clay is supposed to be better in the mix than fireclay. You can get it from well drilling suppliers. I got some from a local well-driller. It costs about the same as fireclay.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 03-17-2003, 01:58 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to PS_Bond
Some cat litters are also bentonite clay. I *think* it was a non-clumping variety that was labelled as bentonite in the fine print. Used it in DIY foundry sand.

Use the clean stuff...

Peter
Old 03-17-2003, 02:41 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Hey Sweeny!

My ol' lady says i can have some cat litter if i clean out the cat box.
Can't ya just use cat s#*t instead of horse turds and sorta kill two birds with one stone?

...unless the crack is big enough to bury a cat in...just ignore it.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 03-17-2003 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:33 AM
Hall of Famer

cat poop ain't quite the same. You won't get that pleasing odor with the cat poop

Old 03-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Misternatural?

Is this for a gas, coal or charcoal forge?

I've been having real good luck with a mixture of KAO wool (high density thermal blanket) and porcelain slip in my gas forge and just use straight wood ash in the wood/charcoal forge.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:33 PM
Master

Tai,

This mixture is for use in a small cylindrical propane setup, I had thought about using kao wool with the slip ( I saw that in your thread on the forgbeque), but decided I wanted to fabricate the refractory myself, I think once fired this will be pretty hard too so it should hold up well.

Gilbert " Gib " Guignard
12/02/35 - 7/15/05
A man like no other.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:28 AM
Misternatural?

Let us know how it works out.

The reason I asked is because the gas refractory is totally diferent than a charcoal forge insulator. Gas requires a much more sophisticated lining than a charcoal forge. Gas heats the refractory and the radiated heat heats the steel. Charcoal heats the steel directly. I experimented with some homemade gas castable refractories and everyone of them sagged or melted at a welding heat. I've had the best luck with the KAO wool and slip, but have often wondered if you could saturate some other material like cotton or berlap with porcelain and get about the same reasults. The fiberous material would burn out and leave a light weight ceramic that could expand and contract upon heating and cooling. One time I made a tuyere tip out ciggarette butts and the slip, which seemed to work fine for that.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:27 AM
Master

Tai,

Just an update, the first batch I made did not work out so well, the mixture even after firing was to soft and the blast from the blower from my propane burner ate it up, however.........the refractory seemed to heat up very well, I think I shall try it with a higher content of some sort of bonder (concrete, portland cement, refractory cement etc) and give it another go. The refractory itself got almost white hot and the surface of it melted but did not appear to sag or anything, it just crumbled away a bit from the blast, so I think if I can just get it to set harder it will work (to much ash in this mix I think too).

Gilbert " Gib " Guignard
12/02/35 - 7/15/05
A man like no other.

Tags
degrees, fire, forge, homemade, kaowool, materials, water