MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Enthusiast

Big Kydex Jungle Parang

Just finished these blades and sheaths

for the UK Army SERE Chief instructor to play with on the next instructor Training course in Brunei

2 pieces of 5" x 17" 0.093" Kydex

Last edited by FGYT; 06-20-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Man, that is gnarly!

Awesome sheath work!!!!!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 06-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Enthusiast

cheers Alex
it uses Kydex quick so i will be needing some more soon

these are now of to SERE UK for testing

but had a play first

piggy backs a XL camp nessy nicely

and the scallops hold a nice length of paracord and could act as a Mollie attatchment ??

Old 06-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Steel Addict

That is some of the best Kydex sheaths I have seen for a big and unique designed blade.

I wish you could have shared more about the knife, (Example) the steel you used, and the actual size.

Both the blade and Sheath are unique and very well done.

The only thing that I see missing from the combo to make it a perfect SERE knife (IMHOP) is a wrapping of DUCT Tape on the sheath, no better way to repair a tent of clothes when in the field. ROFL

I really hope the tests go well for your knife.

Jeff
Old 06-08-2012, 02:47 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspook2158 View Post
That is some of the best Kydex sheaths I have seen for a big and unique designed blade.

I wish you could have shared more about the knife, (Example) the steel you used, and the actual size.

I really hope the tests go well for your knife.

Jeff

Thank you the knife is based on a local to Borneo Parang and the blade is pretty much a direct copy of the guy (John) who commissioned its own jungle parang
He wanted to get it in Full tang as the local stick tang handle has a tendency of letting go of the blade

dunno about Duct tape this is the British Army so a tea bag for a brew when things get Dicey maybe

---------------------------------------------------------------

John From Survival Wisdom (who I make the DSK Wisdom Edge knife for their Survival tin)

With his other hat on as Chief Instructor from the DSTO's (Defence SERE Training Organisation)

Asked if I could make a modern version of the jungle parang with a full tang (the blades fly out of the local made ones)
oh and needs it in about 3 weeks as hes of to run the Next Jungle Survival Instructor Training Cadre. Training the next gen of jungle instructors in Brunei.

No pressure then :O

Then about a week later ...... Can I have 2 the Australian army instructor on exchange fancies one

so a quick flurry of Design emails and we have profile and some basic ideas and limitations due to time

This is the picture I was sent and the 1st off handle design which was rejected as to many lanyard holes and to shaped at the front

Blade shape and angle etc is a direct copy of Johns local made Parang this is 500mm (20") long . The handle is fairly smooth in profile to allow lots of grip options
material is 75Cr1 spring steel in 4.8mm (3/16") for a lightish fast blade

Laser cutting took longer than quoted ( as usual )
Chris Grant did a great fast turn around on the HT edge quench and tempered to 55 Rc

and got them to me Thursday (John flys next Saturday :C So Ive been busy over the Jubilee weekend )

edge is ground with a 30mm (1 1/4") grind height primary bevel to a thickness of 2mm ( 80 thou) then a 35 deg secondary bevel the soulder is then convexed off to blend the 2 bevels

flat bevels done and blacked over to show grinding the convex

Convexing done leaving a minimal black line at the edge and an even hight up teh blade

made up one quick for Johns approval

Old 06-08-2012, 02:48 AM
Enthusiast

seems we are only allowed 10 images per post ??????????????????????

this is std Coyote Brn G10 3/8" thick which is ok but I felt it needed a bit more meat to grip

came in at 752gms and balance point 50mm in front of the handles

For the 2 For Johns

No 1
Ive used the same CB G10 but packed it up with 2.25mm Olive Drab Kydex liners and put a little more shape in the handle.
it also needed a groove in the front to give the Kydex some thing to grip and stop it rattling about (there is also a Cam grip on the blade tip)
Scales are bolted on with 5 sets 1/4" stainless stand offs and blacked stainless Torx Bolts
This one is in matching CB kydex with a basic webbing loop for now

No 2

This is 3/8" Multi cam G10 glued to 4mm black G10 to make up the thickness bolted on with 4 Bolts as above and has a lanyard hole
Sheath as above but in Olive Drab kydex

the pair

Luckily I have kydex in big enough sheets for these as they needs 2off 5" x 17" bits
and my large press was actually used
tho I did have to resort to the house oven to fit them into heat up :ninja:

So hopefully these get posted Wednesday and of to the jungle next weekend for a good thrashing to see if any changes are needed

there are some that will happen any way but i didnt have time to get done

Not bad for a rush Job

ATB

Duncan
Old 06-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Steel Addict

Duncan

Thanks, for the reply and the extra pics.

They should do very well in the SERE trials, even without the Duct Tape or Tea Bag. ROFL

Again, great looking knife and sheath combos.

Jeff
Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 AM
Enthusiast

Should have put these up a while ago

Johns back ( quicker than i thought)

and seems happy with the blades He gave them a good work out and passed them round the experienced Jungle guys and the Local Jungle Ninjas they also use the Aussie Guy kept his close and is happy as is

only failure was as i predicted some of the Teklock aluminium hardware failed which was easily repaired by sewing the belt attachment back on with Paracord ( as can be seen in the photo) I already had some Steel and Stainless steel on the way but they didnt arrive in time to fit.

Like Johnathan D they would like to thin the neck down a little and a few minor tweeks to move the balance fwds a bit more would be desirable

The Local guys said they were good but also were very impressed with the Steel / Heat treat so much so they have given John the patterns of their fav Parangs drawn round on Ration boxes to see if they can have those in this steel which im sure we can fit in

here is a short Vid By John in use ( looks to me like hard going but John says its working fine its very hard wood )
and a couple of pics

Quote:
Dunc, some clips of your new blades in action last week. The tree used to attach the rattan hammock spreader bar was a jungle (mega)hardwood, as you can see from the amount of work it takes our Iban friend to notch it. The bamboo chopped was totally seasoned. The blades did really well no matter how hard the chopping. John.

heres the Aussie wearing eh Multi cam one with Pouch fitted

And a review by :

SGT Scott Robbins
SERE Instructor
RAAF Combat Survival Training School

Quote:
Duncan
First off all, I would like to thank you for the privilege off testing out your blade. So before I go on, I know that John said to you that there was an Aussie Survival Instructor that was keen to play with a blade as well, so sorry for the sort notice and thanks for working so hard to make it all work.
I am posted to the Australian Combat Survival Training School, where we primarily train ADF (Australian Defence Force) Aircrew and other personnel that are prone to isolation or capture in SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Extraction). We operate in Coastal, Arid and Jungle environments off which Jungle is my favorite. I am currently on a 4 month exchange with DSTO (Defence Survival Training Organization)
So, back to the blade, I tested the blade as you are aware on our recent trip to Brunei whilst instructing on the UK DSTO Jungle Survival CSE.

The first thing I noticed was the sheath.... And the general consensus was that it was awesome. Initially the sheath was a little tight, however this did loosen up slightly as time went on. This being said, at no time did I ever feel that the blade was at risk of being lost. The blade did slide forward in out of the handle crimp to a slightly forward position after jumping off a large deadfall, however in the process of doing this, the blade actually locks in place preventing the blade from falling out.... Don't know if this was intentional, but it works well.
The 3 retaining bolts did break after about 3 days, however being alloy this was likely to happen. I am sure that the steel ones will work fine. So, as a short stop, I lashed the belt bracket back on. This actually worked well. I also like the modular design as this allows individuals to swap the blade from left to right and front or back facing depending on the individual preferances.

So onto the blade. I personally found both weight and balance to be excellent. In Australia, our trees are generally harder than those found in both the UK and Brunei (Bit like the people..... Haaa) so I believe that it will work very well. A couple of the other boys had slightly varying opinions as to if the weight and balance suited them. In all, due to both height, weight variations this in to be expected. The blade held an excellent edge and made short work of all tasks. Over the 2 weeks we really did give the blades a flogging and it handle it all extremely well.
I was also pleasantly pleased with the handle. In the Jungle, handles of blades is both a safety and retention issue. I personally do not use a wrist line whilst using machetes. However wet or dry the slightly larger handle and even larger bulbous end, made retention a breeze. As for balance, I found that having the shank of the blade not sharp worked extremely well when doing finer work. Splitting and debarking performance was excellent. We even cut saplings down, and compared the effort required to cut through the same sapling between different blades. The results were impressive and all agreed that it your blade had better penetration. Good balance of thickness for strength v weight and speed.

So overall, I was extremely impressed with the blade, at the end of 2 weeks of hard Jungle flogging it maintained an excellent edge, and the sheath bedded in great.
I like a full size machete and would be more than happy to replace my current blade with this one.

Brilliant job mate.....
Cheers Scott

Old 01-31-2013, 02:57 AM
Enthusiast

So a few tweeks on the shape to move the balance fwds and drop the weight a little and the fiirst Run of 20 blades is at the Heat treaters

These will get a Cerakote coating and maybe the new Supercamo Kydex
Old 02-01-2013, 06:34 AM
Skilled

Keep Calm and Parang On?
Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 AM
Enthusiast

Well Blanks arrived yesterday

Old 02-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Enthusiast

Finished the Mk2 is off to sunny Thailand

here along side the Mk1 prototype

this one has no coating on the bevels

Finally found a neater way of doing the Bracket fore the Webbing loop

scales are Stippled for grip and hollowed to save weight

here with the second blade with its Ceracote coating (put on By Mark @ RifleCraft very quickl Turn about )
this one Ive Coated the whole blade to see if it effects cutting and sticking

Old 06-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast

Well first 10 off batch for the UK SERE training team finished

This is the Issue version in Flat dark earth blade and Cammo kydex (was to be multicam G10 but couldn't get it in time for this lot so used a sheet of Coyote Brown I had) and Coyote brn Webbing

Johns personal blade (yes he paid for it himself) has a Grey Blade a Chocolate Brown kydex sheath and Olive drab Webbing so not to get mixed up with the issue ones .

Last edited by FGYT; 06-03-2013 at 06:42 AM.

Tags
awesome, blade, boltaron, concealex, edge, full tang, grinding, handle, holsters, holstex, injection molding, knife, kydex, make, man, molding, paracord, post, press, repair, sheath, sheaths, steel, tang, thermoform