MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Damascus Forum

The Damascus Forum The art and study of Damascus steel making.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Registered

Help with info on DeVardo Damascus Knife...

Hi everyone, I just joined this forum today. I'm looking for info on a knife that was given to me as a gift about 15 years ago.

It's 7 1/4" inches long with a 3 1/2" blade.

Here are some photos.

Thanks for any help. I'm wondering if this is real Damascus? Does it look like a quality knife? I was told it was made for me, and was kind of like the least expensive, quality custom knife the maker could do. Also, what purpose is served by a knife this size and shape? Is it a small hunting knife, or more of a letter opener, decoration, novelty kind of thing?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

very nice knife, needs sharpined bad. nice hot stamp by maker
Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Registered

Thanks. Yeah I don't know anything about how to take care of it. I just dug it out of the drawer where it lives most of the time. I need to find someone to sharpen it for me. I just read that damascus should not be stored in the sheath and the blade should be oiled. I didn't know those things, this is always in the sheath.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Looking closely at the pics, I can see a bit of "green gunk" on a couple of the brass pics....that's the by product of it being stored in the sheath, and the sheath leather being "chrome" tanned. "Chrome tanning" is where chromatic acids were used to tan the hide....this is considered by most to be a "cheap" variety of leather.....the problem with it is that once the hide is tanned using chromatic acids, it's impossible to ever full get rid of it....the chromatic acid reacts with most non-ferric alloys (brass, copper, aluminum, etc) developing that "green gunk".
The good part is that it's fairly easy to take care of it....a clean rag with some type of metal polish such as Flitz, Wenol, or simichrome, will take care of it.

Oil is fine.....the best way to describe care requirements is to tell you to take care of it the same way you would a non-stainless firearm. Personally, I no longer use oils....they tend to draw dirt/dust, and must be repeated very often to be effective.
I recommend using a good quality automotive paste wax.....personally I use a produce called Mother's Carnauba Cleaner/Wax. Just apply a light dab, spread it over the entire knife, then lightly buff it off by hand. It will protect the entire knife for a long time, and will not draw dirt/dust as oils will.

Although I can't tell you the specific alloys, my guess is that the damascus is a carbon steel combination....meaning that it will rust, tarnish, etc.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Tags
blade, brass, custom, custom knife, damascus, hunting, hunting knife, knife, leather, polish, sheath, steel, tanning