MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum

The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild. Raising the general awareness of custom knives and the people who make them.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Skilled

oct meeting

october is in the books. as the saying goes, if you were not there ,you missed a great day.Phillip Jones did an outstanding job with the mokume demo. Bob Ham showed how to grind a small Japanese blade with a few tricks and jigs thrown in. Alan Folts took the ground blade and did a ray skin overlay and the cord wrap. also did a different wrap on a second blade.final demo was how to use the dremel tool for decorating the back of a blade instead of using a file.. Great input from everyone during the business meeting. MISS JOAN you should have a BIG newsletter this time. Cap has tons of pic, and captions or write ups for you. a few other items will show up in the next newsletter. thanks for the new members and to all the members who attended. next meeting is at MCC in Jan. P.S. iron in the hat was a hoot . Travis

Old 10-20-2007, 10:58 PM

Glad to hear the meeting was a good one. I hated to miss but Avery's 8th birthday took first place this time. And I am soooooo glad I was here for it. Tomorrow he actually turns 8 but today Frank, my son-in-law, and Avery did their ritual "man thing" and were in the woods the first day of deer season. This morning they didn't have any luck but when they went back this afternoon Avery shot his first deer.

Melanie and I were in Savannah shopping when we got the call and the cell phone picture. Avery is proud as he can be but taking it all in stride. Once we got there, the novelty of the day had worn off and he decided he wanted to come stay with me tonight so after washing the ritual deer blood smearing off his face, my great "hunter" curled up on the bottom bunk and is snoring away. He did say he can't wait till next Saturday because he is sure he'll get one big enough to mount.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Skilled

yea that was a good time. thanks to Alan for hosting the meeting and for the great demo, and to phillip and bob for shareing there secrets. the food was awsome,wish id have taken alan up on the offer to take some chiken with us, could of used it half way home but wendys took care of that , we ran into mr ham at wendys 2hrs from the shop, whats the odds? im now a proud member and cant wait till the next one. boo

Old 10-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Skilled

boo glad to have you on board. this is a great group of guys and all are willing to help. see ya soon Travis

Old 10-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Guru

Boo - Didn't even make the connection at the time you were there! Everyone who wasn't there did miss a good meeting, we had a lot of good demos a lot of familiar faces and some new ones. I don't have any pictures of the filework demo, my camera died, but I think I'll talk to Alan about shooting a quick version of it before the newsletter. The other photos aught to be all right, hopefully I can live up to Joan's standards! For everyone who didn't make it, please try to come out to Troy in January, we're sure to have another great one.

We should all thank the folks who did the demos this time around, I learned quite a bit and will be trying some of these things out. There are very few times you can stop someone in the middle of making mokume, grinding a knife or wrapping a handle and ask them 50 questions, you definitely can't do it to a book!

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 10-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast

Glad people had a good time!!! We as a guild are always looking for feedback and suggestions to make these meetings more informative and fun for the members... If you have any ideas of demonstrations or things you woudl like to do or see, Contact Travis!

You know we nominate him for everything already anyways!

Alan
Old 10-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Skilled

YEA!!!! i have not heard my name called so much since high school. Trav

Old 10-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Guru

Stop trying to fool everyone Travis, we know you didn't go to High School.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 10-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Sounds like you guys had a blast I've got to get to more meetings.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:46 PM

It was a fantastic day. Phillip and I really enjoyed ourselves. The food was excellent. The demos were entertaining as well as educational. The fellowship was undoubtedly the best part, though. I can't wait for the next meeting in January.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:14 PM

I agree this meeting was one not to be missed. Things just came together without a hitch. Alan and Mary Folts did a first rate job hosting the meeting on Saturday, not to mention putting up with a bunch of us on Sunday. Couldn't have asked for a better get together!

Joan, Avery can be proud of that one. Tell him we said Happy Birthday!

Visit My Website
mclurkincustomknives.com

Old 10-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Skilled

Andrew, thanks to you and everyone else for all the good comments. as you know , it is quite difficult to get these demos lined up. SO, if any of you have a demo you would really like to see, let me know. this is a learning tool as well as a fun time for us to get together. Travis

Old 10-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Skilled

i wish i could have made sunday, im sure there were some great things to learn . ron,cory and i will be at the jan meeting if nothing goes wrong .for a demo id like to see someone fit up a guard and solder it, thats one of the areas i need the most work on. boo

Tags
blade, knife