MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum

The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild. Raising the general awareness of custom knives and the people who make them.

Old 10-24-2004, 09:01 PM

Fall Meeting

The fall meeting of the NCCKG is now past and it was one to remember. It was held in Chocowinity NC at the shops/home of Wayne & Susan Whitley and Traivs & Doris Daniel. Bill Pate, Vice-President, put together a great group of demos that gave lots of info and gave everyone a chance to have hands-on. John and I had a great time--as always.

The day started with Travis Daniel teaching us about buffing & polishing, and about coloring bone. John told me on the way home that he learned a lot from Travis on buffing. He was not aware of all the different type wheels and compounds Travis mentioned. When Travis gets tired of making knives, he can always go into the teaching profession.

Next, Alan Folts took us thru the steps to make a Kydex sheath. Alan makes tactical knives and has mastered many of the techniques of the tactical .

Wayne forged out 2 railroad spike letter openers and they were drawn for. I was lucky enough to have one of them get to come home with me to Georgia.

Later Wayne forged out 2 full size spikes into twist handle knives and again the Guild drew numbers for winners. Saturday was my lucky day and I won another one. These are really cool pieces to look at and everyone who sees them reaches out to hold one. My grandson already has his eye on the small letter opener and my son-in-law is eyeing the full size knife.

With Bill, Wayne and Journeyman Tim Scholl there to assist, several of the Guild members got to try their hand at forging out a spike.

John and I are quite proud of fellow Georgian Nelson Simmons and the piece he completed.

This was Nelson's first attempt at smithing. Tim, Wayne, and Bill were as good instructors as Nelson was a student.

Once in a while, you will find a "break-out" demo going on at the meetings and this is just what is going on here. Travis Daniel and Barry Jones got together to discuss flat grinding techniques. The "master and the student". But I'm not sure which is which.

Several of us stayed after the meeting to continue the fellowship and catching up with each other.

Sometimes we pick up others along the way....

With about 30 members in attendance for the day it was good to get to see everyone. John and I always feel like we are "home" when we are there among everyone. It really was a good day.

Old 10-26-2004, 07:40 PM

Thank you for the pictures and write-up Joan! It's almost like I was there; oh wait I was there.

I'm always impressed by the quality of the demonstrations, the enjoyable fellowship, and the food. You can't beat a pig pickin' with all the fixin's. Thanks Everyone!

Visit My Website
mclurkincustomknives.com

Old 12-30-2004, 10:09 AM

I see that Travis Danial did a class on coloring bone. Could we get that information on the forum. It's really hard to info on coloring bone.

Thanks

Steve Patterson
Old 12-30-2004, 03:40 PM

Hi Steve,

I'll contact Travis and see if he can do me a write up on this.

Thanks

Tags
forging, knives