MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 11-01-2004, 09:44 PM
Registered

Anyone ever try UHMW for washers??

I was just wondering if anyone has tried making washers out of UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) material before? I have no idea how soft this stuff is, nor how much it might compress. It just peaked my curiosity.
I thought of buying some in block form, plane off some strips and then punching out some washers. I spotted some at woodcraft.com. The description states,"low coefficient of friction and a high abrasion resistance that surpasses even Teflon."

Link: http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/p...8F873021655B9C

I would appreciate any thoughts anyone can give on this, or experiences of those
who may have tried it. I really appreciate it, thanks!
Old 11-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Guru

First of all, welcome to the Forum. I can't say how it would work for washers on knives simply because I have never tried it.I use it every day at my day job, building machinery.We use it for rollers and rub strips. It is somewhat soft and while slick I don't think it would be a good washer material. Someone may come in that has used it but those are my thoughts on it. I don't make the kind of folders most the makers here make.I do alot of old style friction folders and use a bronze bushing on the pivot and use homemade stainless washers.Hope this helps.Dave
Old 11-02-2004, 06:35 AM
Master

This is UHMV Polyethylene .www.mcmaster.com sells it .You might contact them for more info. How much different can it be from Nylatron ?
Old 11-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mete
How much different can it be from Nylatron ?
Isn't that like asking, "How much different can lead be from gold?" The answer is, "a lot". I've never used it either but I have read several threads about washer materials on this forum in the past and don't recall ever seeing anyone recommend UHMW for washers. I'd be willing to bet there's a reason for that.

I have tried teflon and some types of nylon and none of them have worked as well as Nylotron. But, UHMW is cheap and readily available so it can't hurt to try some if you're curious - that's how most of us have learned what we know in the first place. You'll probably find that it works - almost anything will work - but it probably won't work as well as Nylotron.

Nylotron is available from Sheffield's in sheet form and also from MSC as Specialty Nylon 6/6 with Molybdinum Di-Sulphide in strips or it rods if you want to cut your own thicknesses.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-02-2004, 03:04 PM
Guru

Well we also use nylotron and it is much harder than UHMW.Dave
Old 11-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Registered

Thanks for the great feedback guys. I had wondered if the material would be softer than Nylatron. I just thought that maybe someone may have had the same thought as mine and tried it. What caught my attention was it's low friction and self lubing properties, similar to Nylatron. Oh well, maybe I'll give it a try in the future and see what happens.
Until then, I think I'll stick with the tried and true...Nylatron. Again thanks for all of your replies and thoughts on the matter. God Bless!

Tags
knives