MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-25-2004, 01:39 AM

"Insane" tool sale at Target!

I stopped in at the nearby Target store earlier this evening. It was meant to be just a quick stop...

As many of you may know, I tend to spend a lot of time researching any tools I buy and in the process I'm always looking for the best possible prices. So I know of what I speak when I say that I've never seen bargains like these! I don't know if Target is revamping their tool aisle, or just making room for new fall merchandise, but when I happened to walk down that aisle and spotted all the markdowns on over 1/2 the tools in that department, my eyes nearly fell out!

Whatever they're up to, at 75-90% off these prices are just plain nuts!!!

For example:
Stanley long nose pliars...$1.48
Stanley "Steelmaster" hammer...$3.24
Black and Decker HSS drill bits, all sizes...$.32 apiece!!!!!
Portable 2HP air compressor...$22.96 !!!!! (To the best of my memory, not even Harbor Freight has ever had any compressor for that price!)
72 piece socket set...$7.48 !!!!!! (unbelieveable!)
and so on, and so on...you get the idea. WOW!

They had to practically kick me out when the store closed at 10:00PM

Don't wait too long to get over there, or I'm liable to beat you to it. (At those prices, someone could buy up everything and take it all to a flea market and really clean up. Even at twice the price these are great deals,...you could easily double your money in one day!!!)

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

BTW
Take note: Not every Target will necessarily have the same exact sale...We have 4 Targets within 20 minutes and I've often seen different pricing going from store to store.

Old 09-25-2004, 10:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Dennis, you got me all wound up about Target sales, seems ther are never enough end wrenches around. Before we took a road trip to Target, I found all the end wrenches in various tool boxes, the old camper and truck, inventoried and found, shoot, I got more wrenches than realized, they were just hidden. Decieded not to go to Target, guess I got all the wrenches needed for now.

Went to Costco today and drooled over the tool isle, how do theys ell that stuff so cheap. A drill combo of numbered, inch and metric was about $39.00 drills, a close eyeball of the tips, they looked a bit rough ground, this is proably a good buy though. But, I will still buy my drills from Rutland, with precision ground split points. I have a drill sharpener so can regrind most any size, the little tiny ones, I don't bother with.

Life without tools would be really dull, some pun intended.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 09-26-2004, 01:42 AM

Having finished making my rounds of the 4 nearby Targets, I began putting everything away in the shop this evening. Seems all of a sudden I have triplicates of several types of pliars, one for each corner of the shop!

Here are a couple more "scores" I made today...

Vise Grips-Model 10WR-Curved 1 7/8" jaws (these are the real deal, not knock offs)...$3.24!!! MSC sells 'em for $12 bucks.

Black & Decker "Mouse" Power Sander/Polisher- $9.98 !! (Saw it yesterday at Home Depot for 39.99)

Arrow Model T50 Staple Gun- $4.48 (Harbor Freight sells the exact same staple gun for $17.00!).

Stanley "Linesman" Pliars- $1.38

And other misc. odds and ends... More of those $.32 drills. Several decent tape measures (again for each corner of the shop) marked all the way down to $1.34 each.

I was right about all the stores being different. One of them had almost no sale merchandise at all in the tool aisle. There's not much left now...which is probably a good thing for me.
All-in-all I did pretty darn good. Most of what I bought were various pliars, nearly all were marked down to about $1.00...How could I go wrong?

At any rate, I got to buy a bunch of "name brand" tools without dropping a bunch of money...always fun!

Now I just have to figure a way to make more storage space.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 09-26-2004 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Knowing that the nearest Target has a tool aisle about the size of my work bench, I wouldn't go out of my way to check for this sale. But taking the wife for an errand, we happened to be in the neighborhood and stopped in. 'Natch, no sale going on here.

The wife and I keep a space in the back of a closet for "insane sale" items. (Like after-Christmas stuff) It doesn't always have anything ('cause nobody put anything on sale!), but you'd be surprized at how many times it's supplied a last-minute gift.

Old 09-26-2004, 11:17 AM

Before entering the knifemaking world, I had no experience with tools at all. If I needed something done around the house I'd pick up the phone and call the plumber, electrician, etc. Knifemaking changed all that.

I had to wait until I was 50 yrs old to find out that I even liked working with tools least of all be any good with them. But I've been mostly so focused on acquiring knifemaking equipment, I found I was lacking in some of the basic stuff. Target may not have such a big tool department, but they carry enough of some OK quality basics (certainly good enough for limited home use) that I was able to flesh out my tool collection...and at unbelievable prices.

BTW- One benefit of them having a small department...It only takes a few minutes to scope it out...and then move along.

When I first stepped into the world of knifemaking, I had a hammer and a couple of screw#######. In less than three years I think I've built up a pretty substantial workshop:
Five worbenches as well as several dedicated benches, two bandsaws (one variable speed, one metal cutting), two drill presses (one is a 12" variable speed), buffer, a mini-mill, my KMG 2 X 72 belt grinder, a Sears 1HP 2 X42 belt grinder w/9" disk sander, a 5 1/2 HP compressor, just about every type of power rotary tool available including my GRS 850 high speed pneumatic carver (and a huge selection of burs to go with them), an arbor press, anodizer, hand sanders, jig saws, reciprocating saw, trim saw, 2 shop vacs, dust collector, angle grinder, portable drills, several quality vises, at least 3 or 4 dozen high-end files (especially needle files), a "ton" of misc. accessories,....and now, a heck of a selection of pliars!

Acquiring tools.......I think I may be addicted!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

PS. Now, my wife comes down to my shop, looks around and says, "So, does this mean you can fix that leaky faucet?"...To which I now reply "Why yes, I think I can!"

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 09-26-2004 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:22 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

Nothing like the right tool for the job!
Some men just get off on tools, like me!!!
Thanks for keeping us posted.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Skilled

Appreciate the heads up, Dennis. Unfortunately, no sale at my local store - but lots of cute clerks! - Jim
Old 10-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Steel Addict

Hey Dennis can I borrow a cresent wrench? i would ask Geno but am afraid i would grow hair on my palms or go blind or sumthin.