MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-24-2001, 10:48 PM
ironbasher 1

grinding

I am a new knifemaker and I have a problem. I like to flat grind and as soon as I switch from my rough in 60 grit belt to a120 or 220 belt to remove scratches my grind quality, such as it is at this stage of the game, goes down rapidly ,leaving multiple grind tracks. I then have to switch to hand block sanding if i want them to truly go away. Any suggestions? I am also wondering what a good starting highth is for my grinder,I am 5' 8" tall. Thanks for the help. Kinzea l Thompson
Old 06-24-2001, 11:13 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Welcome ironbasher,
I am a hollow grinder so I imagine the set up will be different,but mine is set about belly button high.I am sure someone that flat grinds will be through soon and hopefully help you out.

Again welcome to the Custom Knife Directory forum and please "join" up and be part of the family
Old 06-25-2001, 04:53 AM
C L Wilkins

I may be wrong but it sounds like you may not placing your stock perfectly flat on your platen. This is common when first starting out and is very easy to do with a particularly long blade.

One way to help alleviate this is to do the following when you grind. Always grind in one direction, don't go back and forth. What helps me is to start at the plunge and basically pull the blade all the way to the tip. We aren't really pulling, it is just figuratively speaking. It is more like swaying. Elbows in, resting on the love handles.

Craig
Old 06-26-2001, 11:09 AM
ironbasher 1

Grinding

Thank You Mike and Craig for your quick and helpful responses. I think my grinder is mounted way to high(chest high),and I was doing just what you summised,Craig. It was also a large blade with a recurve, and I dont think i am handling the transition correctly as the recurve portion seemed to thin out more uncontrolably than the rest. once again,thanks for the help. Kinzea L Thompson
Old 06-26-2001, 07:53 PM
KandSKNIVES

Re: Grinding

IB 1, FLAT AND CONVEX GRINDING IS ABOUT ALL I DO, ON MY BLADES. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN KNOWING MY PROCESS, FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME AND I WILL TRY TO HELP. NO NEED TO TAKE UP SPACE ON THE FORUM.
KEN (WWJD)
Old 06-26-2001, 08:22 PM
primos

Take up all the space you need Ken. That's why we're here.

Old 06-27-2001, 09:31 PM
KandSKNIVES

TERRY, I HAVE TRIED TO REPLY 3 TIMES AND MY BROWSER KEEPS PREMATURELY DISCONNECTS FROM THE NET. INTERRUPTS THE POST AND CAN'T RELOAD IT WHEN I RESTART.
KEN (WWJD)
Old 06-27-2001, 11:43 PM
Geno

Sharp belts, a good push stick and think FLAT!
Focus on using the CENTER of the belt for your cutting action.
As stated before, grind in one direction.(per side anyway)
It must be flat and square to the platten before you push into it and start to drag it away from the plunge.
I tuck my elbows into my side and kind of lean out of the stroke.
The grinder shoulld be about belly high for this technique.

Tags
blade, knife