MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-30-2001, 01:49 PM
kvistads

Raw sources for O1

Dear Guys & Gals:

Was just reading the last post about the heat treatment of O1 - very interesting. Here's another question for you. Where can I find a "scrap" source for O1? What I mean by this is what form of scrap does O1 usually come in and is it something I can find at a local salvage yard? I was strongly considering buying some old leaf springs and try making something from them. By the way most of you talk about how forgiving O1 is I might like to try it if it is something I can obtain from local sources at reasonable prices. The knives I've made so far are out of maonry blades which I believe to be L7. Thanks so much for your time.

Sincerely,
Russell
Old 06-30-2001, 01:55 PM
Little Hen Knives

try american made car shock stems....the shock absorber stem. if you don`t forge yer blades that may be a problem sorry but don`t know anything else.
Old 06-30-2001, 05:06 PM
Don Cowles

Virtually all industrial supply houses carry O1 in precision ground, annealed form, in a very wide variety of sizes. It is quite inexpensive (maybe $1-2 for enough steel for an average hunting knife), and is easy to work with.
Even if you are pinching pennies, it is a very good investment- and it makes a very fine blade.
Old 06-30-2001, 08:56 PM
ghostdog

I read on the web somewhere, that chainsaw bars made by Oregon are 0-1. Probably pick up an old bar from a small engine repair shop. I got 60 from a log home builder.

ghostdog
Old 07-01-2001, 07:58 AM
kvistads

Ron, Don, & Ghostdog:

Thankyou for your reply to my question on the O1 steel. Ron, no problem finding enough old shocks since my Father-in-law owns an auto parts store. He has many connections with the local mechanics. And yes to the forge. It is something I've been putting together recently. At least I bought my anvil and hammer - hee heee.

Don, I'll check a local steel supplier here who sells the kind of steel like angle iron, expanded steel, etc. and see if they know of O1. I have purchased stuff for general repair before at good prices.

Ghostdog, I have a few chainsaw bars in the shop now. I knew I hung on to that old stuff for some reason. Now I know why. Thanks to all of you and really enjoy reading all the good info here.
Russ
Old 07-01-2001, 03:21 PM
Mondt

Check the Supply Center here too. I saw someone wanting to trade some 01 over there a while ago.
Old 07-01-2001, 08:39 PM
ScottWiley

Russel
The lowest price I have located on new 01 is Enco. Check out the website and you can order a catalog from there.
Scott

www.use-enco.com

Tags
blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives