MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 09-01-2004, 07:07 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Cross Sliding Vise for Folder Makers

About 7 years ago I bought a really decent cross sliding vise from Harbor Freight for about $40. It is a 3" vise and there aren't many of those to choose from. Even a 3" cross sliding vise is fairly large and weighs about 11 pounds. Anyway, this one has slide locks that work with your fingers instead of a wrench and that is very nice to have - a $70 Palmgren vise I tried didn't have that feature.

In all those years I have never seen that vise offered for sale again until I got a flyer from Enco today. They list the 3" and the 4" vise and they appear identical to mine. The price is even less than I paid at $25 for the 3" and $30 for the 4". The flyer says the sale is good until Octoer 31st.

This looks like the best deal we may ever see on cross sliding vises and I can't imagine making folders without one. If you want one, the part numbers are: BY426-8395 for the 3" and BY426-8397 for the 4"

Enco's phone number is 800-873-3626

You will need a full sized bench top or floor model drill press to use one of these vises, like the popular 12 speed presses that go for around $250, The little $50 presses aren't large enough to hold this vise and still have room to use it.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 09-01-2004 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Skilled

Ray:

That vise is EXACTLY what I have been looking for. Thanks for the info. I just ordered the 4" model from ENCO.

Thanks again...............Robert
Old 09-02-2004, 12:30 PM

Glad I could help. Be sure to post back here when you get it and let us know if the quality is acceptable. At these prices though, it would be hard to go wrong....

Old 09-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers
the part numbers are: BY426-8395 for the 3" and BY426-8397 for the 4"

Hmmm. The PNs in my most recent Enco flyer (prices good thru 9/30/04) are BX426-8395 and BX426-8397. Same vise? I've already got one but the thumb screw lock sounds interesting.

Old 09-03-2004, 06:20 PM

Yes, same vise. They change the part #'s so they can identify what flyer you are ordering from and therefore what price they can expect you to pay. Anyway, the ones I posted are good until Oct 31, 2004 and the wee little picture shows thumb screws just like on my vise...

Old 09-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Enthusiast

I've been lookin' for one of those for a long long time and hadn't seen one at harbor freight when i go in there. i didn't even know what they called that contraption. THANK YOU VERY MUCH RAY.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Master

perfect timing...i was just thinking about buying another one. thanks for the heads up ray!
Old 09-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Skilled

Garbage, Boat Anchor at Best

Well, today my order came in for the 4" X-Y cross-sliding table vise from Enco. I knew up-front that it was made in China-ville and knew that it was a gamble. I gambled and lost.

Fellow knifemakers, you get what you pay for.............What I got was a $37.00 boat anchor. I have heard that Enco has "some" pretty good stuff, however, this "special" isn't one of them.

I plan to go fishing this weekend and will probably use this vise as a boat achor, but when it is time to "pull-ahchor", I will probably just cut the rope.

If anyone is interested, I will make you a deal and sell it prior to donating it to the bottom of lake Logan-Martin for $79.95 plus shipping. :evil :evil :evil

Anyway....................Pay the extra "2 cents" and buy quality American Made (if there is such a thing anymore).

Just my opinion for whatever its worth............................Robert (Vice-less in Alabama)
Old 09-08-2004, 08:19 PM

Really sorry to hear it worked out that way. Could you tell us more specifically what the shortcomings are? I'd also like to know if it did have thumb screws on it like the picture illustrated....

Old 09-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Skilled

Ray:

I will try to take a couple of photos and post within the next couple of days.

I am by no means trying to knock Enco, I am just saying that you really can't expect much for the price. I knew better when I ordered it. I guess that everybody is hoping to get lucky once-in-a-while.

(Get Lucky Once-in-a while) ........That is what I thought about my first two-ex-wives. (Ooooppps, I didn't mean to say that) :evil

Anyway, I will try to post and show, via arrows, what I see as a problem. Bare with me.............I will try to get back to you guys.

Robert
Old 09-08-2004, 09:12 PM

No doubt about getting what you pay for but I had paid only $40 for mine and it's a great vise. These appeared to be the same vise at a sale price. On the other hand, I haven't seen anyone offer this vise in the 7 years since I've had mine so maybe I'm hoping for too much .......

Old 09-09-2004, 08:54 AM
Skilled

Here is a shot of the X-Y vise. In order to tighten up the "slop" (movement), you have to adjust these 4 screws. Problem is, when you adjust the slop out of the ways, it is then too tight to move with the x and y handles. You would have to constantly loosen and tighten the "way" screws.

The irritating groove at the back of the vise jaw won't allow for the use of a set of parallel bars. I suppose I could make a thicker jaw and cover the groove.

The x-y handles are very sloppy and the graduated movement scales look like they were randomly hammered in with a chisel.

Important......These are just my opinions. Again, you get what you pay for.

Robert
Old 09-09-2004, 12:28 PM

You're the one with your hands on the product so I'd say your opinion was fairly important. Your picture shows the vise quite clearly and, unlike the picture in the catalog, your vise looks nothing like my vise. The adjustment nuts are supposed to be spring loaded wing nuts that can be quickly tweaked with your fingers. The handles are different and even the shape of the body is different.

I replaced the steel jaws on mine with some thick brass jaws I made. I've never used the graduated markings on mine (not even sure it has any) as it makes no difference to me how far I move the vise when the object is to move the target under the drill bit. If there is some slop in the ways, that does not affect me either since I can easily lock the vise in place once it is positioned by a quick touch on the wing nuts. With this approach you may still find the vise to be useful, although I would find the lack of wing nuts to be a big draw back.

Thank you for posting the picture and for being the guinea pig. Now people can make a more informed decision....

Old 09-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Skilled

Ray:

I am lucky enough to work at a Community College that just happens to have a Machine Tool Technology program. Steve, the instructor, and myself will be "re-designing" this vise. He is as sharp as they come, and together, I think we may be able to salvage this "boat anchor".

If we come up with something that works, I will post a photo.

By the way, have I told you guys how much I appreciate everyone's help on this forum? If not, consider yourselves "TOLD".

Robert
Old 09-11-2004, 04:22 AM
Hall of Famer

This is a X-Y positioning vise I've had a long, long time, it opens about 5 5/8", I made aluminum jaw inserts which grab thin pieces. This may have been an old Enco or Harbor Freight purchase, don't remember. There is some backlash but it's only used for positioning, drilling, not milling, I have a small mill for that. 99.9% of the time it's on my drill press table and is one of my main tools. it has cast on the side 125, must be a metric thing.

This vise is used daily, like it a lot.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/

Tags
knives