MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 05-22-2002, 04:32 AM
Colin KC

hobbyist

Hi Guys,
First time I've posted on this (The Outpost) forum, & I love the things you guys make

I started into knives when, as a boy scout, my dad bought me a cheap bowie (pressed cardboard sheath & all)

made my first knife (out of a file) in the workshop whilst in the army (my father in law has it now)

To date, I've sold three & given tens away, only do stock removal (it's all known quantities & measured work) but I've ordered a blank from Geno & if I can still produce a nice knife from something that isn't flat 'n square, I'll maybe try to forge some myself.

So a hobbyist yes, and unless the knife lovers "come out of the closet" in the UK, that's probably the way it will stay.

I didn't realise that there are such cool people around that make knives, help each other & have formed such a great community. I'd love to meet some of you guys one day, in the meantime, keep bashing & maybe you'll hear the ring of steel from "over the pond" in my little workshop soon.

Thanks guys

Colin
Kent Cutlery
Old 05-22-2002, 07:07 AM
Dana Acker

Re: hobbyist

Hey Colin--Welcome to the forum; glad to have you. I hope you won't be a stranger. Feel free to jump in any time. If any of us can be a help in any way, just ask. Hey, with you and Roger both in the UK, you guys can start a tribe. Cool cool cool.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:56 AM
ghostdog

forging

Welcome to the Outpost Colin.

If I was you I would stay away from forging. There is someting about flames and sttel and hammers that gets addicting.

Roger is over your way and there was another guy awhile back hanging around Unplugged. Maybe one of them is close to ya.

ghostdog
Old 05-22-2002, 11:45 AM
Colin KC

Re: forging

Thanks Dana, Ghostdog.

I may well try to get together with Roger sometime, he knows about forging, I don't.

Still Ghostdog, I won't take your advice, I think your trying to keep me away from forging cos you know I'll like it! I'm going to see at the local crafts museum if they'll let me have a go.
I'm sure I could stop if'n I wanted

Colin
Old 05-22-2002, 01:49 PM
Dana Acker

Re: forging

Don't bet the family farm on that Colin. Coal smoke and old rusty iron things are more addicting than heroin. Hey! We're all junkies here. Or is that "blackies?" "Smithies?" No that won't work, because a smith can't be a smithy. Oh well whatever we are, we sure have a good time at it. So enjoy, Colin. It's a never ending road, but there's a lot of neat people and cool things along the way.
Old 05-22-2002, 05:54 PM
Raymond Richard

Forging Fool........

Did one for this a few days ago but my son changed the formate on the putor and I needed my password. Low and behold I couldn't remember it. Here goes again.

Actually my family backgroung is cutlery manufacturing. J A Richard Co. out of Southbridge, Mass. was my great uncle I guess. According to my Dad it was one of the largest cutlery company's in the US late 1800's threw early 1900's. Think it was bought out by Dexter. So the making of knives has been in my blood even before I was born. Made some stock removal knives when I was fourteen and that was it till l994 when I got bit bad by the bug. Mainly did stock removal knives but have been banging on rebar since 1995. The last couple years I have been mainly forging to shape or real close to it. As far as a business goes the older I get the more serious I've been getting into knives. Last week I started at a Saturday Market a few miles East of where I live selling knives and doing forging demonstrations. I think I forged for at least four hours out of the six that the market was open, time flew by with me being able to forge and not just standing there. Going to have Alex of CKD do me a web page for my knives so that should happen in a month or so.

Yes, Colin, it is addicting. It will make you old before your time and all you hair will fall out. Just ask Dana if you don't believe me........Ray
Old 05-22-2002, 10:44 PM
Thingmaker3

Re: Forging Fool........

I'm an addicted hobbyist. I became fascinated with metalwork about eight years ago when employed in a machine shop. I began reading up on smithing, foundry, machine work, and just about every related topic I could think of. January of 1991 I lit my first forge fire and I've been pinching red-hot metal between hammer and anvil every chance I can get since then. I get a real kick out of making house and yard decorations for my wife and other family.

Knifesmithing has been a steep learning curve for me. I've burned up more billets and blanks than I can count. I think I'm finally getting the hang of working with carbon steel, though. I've got two blanks that have not burned up - both from this past Saturday. Must've been good vibes floating outward from a certain Saturday Market a mile or two North of me...
Old 05-22-2002, 11:00 PM
ghostdog

howdy

Hey Thingmaker, welcome to the Outpost.

Ya forging is awesome.

ghostdog
Old 05-23-2002, 06:03 AM
prizzim

"Status"

I'm a frustrated artist, busy father of 3 daughters, and trying to work less than 50 hours a week. Hobby, when I can carve out time. One day (and didn't I say this a year ago?) I hope it becomes self-sustaining.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:25 AM
Dana Acker

Re: "Status"

Yeah, welcome to the forum, Thingmaker. If there's anything we can do to help, let us know.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:50 PM
Guru

I worked on my Dad's fishing/charter boat. I got my Master's ####### then.(1975) I needed a knife that wouldn't dull all the time. I literally used 8 knives to filet fish on charters. My regular day job (I'm an aerospace sheetmetal mech. and ultra precision TIG welder) an older fellow told me to take some old worn out Nicholson files and stick them in the oven for 2 hours. I ground down the now dark beige colored blades and taped ice cream sticks and duct tape for handles. Those knives were about Rc60 I'm guessing and they cut through the fish bones all day. I sharpened with a medium India stone and was happy as a camper.

I just made a filet knife out of D2 with ironwood handles for my son. I sent it to TKS for HT and they said it is Rc 61. I cleaned 4 redfish and two mutton snapper without sharpening once. My son's m-o-l used the knife to carve the thanksgiving turkey (no sharp knives in the house, for shame) and then proceeded to put it in the dishwasher. The pins were sticking out and it lost it's shine. Took me 3 hours to fix it back right.

I love D2 and O1. They are tool steels and hold an edge very well. For me, first and foremost a knife must hold an edge. I never make combat knives. Yet I just made a "bear killing" knife for my son out of O1. I tempered it back around Rc 56. He has a .38 plus P special 2" revolver and I told him to let the bear chew on his arm while he shoots it in the ear. I can't believe he's smart enough to be a Dr. The knife has a better chance of killing the bear.

Last edited by jimmontg; 12-10-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:33 AM
Registered

I am starting. More of a hobby to me.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:55 AM

what's app +18632405118 FOR ANY REGISTRATION DATA BASE DOCUMENTS

Buy High quality Fake and Apply for a Real Genuine Visa, passport.I D,driving ####### Working permit for USA,CANADA,UK,SCHENGEN COUNTRIES/EUROPEAN COUNTRIES,AUSTRALIA,ASIA,AFRICA...
contacts:
whats app========+1 (863) 240 5118
email===========paperworks091@gmail.com
Skype ID========liveaperworks091
Are you trying to change your nationality ? do you need work papers ? do you want travel ? do you need papers you cant have ?if yes , then you are in the right place at the right time.
Get A second Chance In Life with New Identity protect your privacy, build new credit history, bypass criminal background checks, take back your freedom . We are unique producers of Authentic High Quality FAKE and ORIGINAL Genuine Data Base Registered Citizenship documents like #########, ####### #######s, ID cards, Visa Stamps/sticker,Residence permit,Fake Visas, Fake School Diplomats/Degree and my other documents for countries like: USA,CANADA,UK,SCHENGEN COUNTRIES/EUROPEAN COUNTRIES,CHINA,JAPAN.... for refugees,Job seekers,Travelers,Tourist,immigrants and any other. Interested find contact below and make your request .We have the best HOLOGRAMS AND DUPLICATING MACHINES With thousands of our documents circulating over the world.
-IDs Scan-yes?
-HOLOGRAMS: IDENTICAL
-BARCODES: IDS SCAN
-UV: YES
Contact
We are able to produce the following items;
-EU PASSPORT
-SCHENGEN PASSPORT
-REAL BRITISH PASSPORT/VISA/DRIVER'S #######
-REAL CANADIAN PASSPORT/VISA/DRIVER'S #######
-REAL FRENCH PASSPORT/VISA/DRIVER'S #######
-REAL AMERICAN PASSPORT/VISA/DRIVER'S #######
-REAL RUSSIAN PASSPORT/VISA/DRIVER'S #######
-REAL JAPANESES PASSPORT/VISA/DRIVER'S #######
-REAL CHINESE PASSPORT/VISA/DRIVER'S #######
-REAL PASSPORT/VISA/DRIVER'S ####### FOR COUNTRIES IN THE EUROPEAN UNION.
Buy Registered and unregistered USA(United States) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Australian #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Belgium #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Brazilian(Brazil) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Canadian(Canada) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Finnish(Finland) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered French(France) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered German(Germany) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Dutch(Netherlands/Holland) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Israel #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered UK(United Kingdom) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Spanish(Spain) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Mexican(Mexico) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered South African #########.
Buy Registered and unregistered Australian driver #######s,
Buy Registered and unregistered Canadian driver #######s,
Buy Registered and unregistered French(France) driver #######s,
Buy Registered and unregistered Dutch(Netherlands/Holland) driving #######s,
Buy Registered and unregistered German(Germany) driving #######s,
Buy Registered and unregistered UK(United Kingdom) driving #######s,
Buy Registered and unregistered Diplomatic #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered USA(United States) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Australian #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Belgium #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Brazilian(Brazil) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Canadian(Canada) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Finnish(Finland) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered French(France) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered German(Germany) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Dutch(Netherlands/Holland) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Israel #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered UK(United Kingdom) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Spanish(Spain) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered Mexican(Mexico) #########,
Buy Registered and unregistered South African #########.
Buy Registered and unregistered Australian driver #######s,
Buy Registered and unregistered Canadian driver #######s,
Buy Registered and unregistered French(France) driver #######s,
Buy Registered and unregistered Dutch(Netherlands/Holland) driving #######s,
Buy Registered and unregistered German(Germany) driving #######s,
Buy Registered and unregistered UK(United Kingdom) driving #######s,
Buy Registered and unregistered Diplomatic #########,
Registered and unregistered Camouflage #########,
Registered and unregistered passport Duplicates,
Registered and unregistered USA(united States) ######### for sale,
Registered and unregistered Australian ######### for sell,
Registered and unregistered Belgium ######### for sell,
Registered and unregistered Brazilian(Brazil) ######### for sell,
Registered and unregistered passport of all countries.visas,biometric passport,degrees,####### #######,I.D cards.Training certificates M GCSE, A-levels,
High School Diploma Certificates ,GMAT, MCAT, and LSAT Examination Certificates , Novelty Birth, Marriage, and Death Certificates , Novelty ######### and New Identity Packages ,Replicated, False Degrees/Diplomas from most post-secondary institutions from around the world (we have over 3000 templates on file) all designed to look 100% identical to the original.Custom Printing (if we do not already have the template on file ? simply email us a copy and we can make any alterations/modifications as per your directions).second, citizenship,identity, identification, documents, diplomatic,nationality, how to, where to, get, obtain, buy, purchase, make,build, a, passport, i.d,British, Honduras, UK, USA, us, u.s.,Canada, Canadian,foreign, visa, Swiss, card,ids, document, getting,visas, cards, foreign
contact
-WE ALSO OFFER A LEGITIMATE SERVICE:
We offer a service to help you through to meet your goals, we can help you with;
?Getting real government issued ID under another identity,
?A new social security number (verifiable with the SSA),
?Checking and saving accounts for your new ID,
?Stamps
?Credit cards
?Relocation.
?#########(USA, Canada, Australia, EU Countries, Asia...)
?Biometric #########
?EU #########
?Green Card application
?Perminent Residence Card (PR)
?Construction and obtaining identification documents,
?Coaching services available
?Working permit
?Driver's #######
?Birth Certificates
?Marriage Certificates
?School Diploma
?High quality Fake Dollar/Euro Bills
?ID cards
?Private and offshore banking
?Visas for USA, Canada, Australia, Europe & Asian Countries and much more!

Tags
back, blade, blades, custom, edge, file, files, fishing, fishing knife, forge, forging, handles, hobby, ironwood, knife, knives, made, make, metal, pins, pocketknife, post, sharpening, stone, wood