MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:19 PM
Skilled

wow its been a while.

it occured to me that its been a LONG time since Ive posted here, so many changes in my life, Im blessed to able to say all of them wonderful.
not long after my last visit here I started smithing as the blacksmith at the NY renaissance faire.
talk about fast tracking the ole learning curve. its really forced me to up my game....fast.

in 2012 I lured some poor woman into my web o lies and deciet and we got hitched, did a few different faires including georgia and carolina, eventually ended up in Texas where we now work just the austin faire and the 234354653 gun shows here in the state *grins*
to say that the shop has evolved would be a understatement, my meager forge building on the hippy commune is now two buildings a 14x21 steel carport for the hot work and a 16x32 building for the grinders, mill, etcetc
lots o propane, col forge, moloch hammer, a row of grinders a big 14 in wheel hollow grinder, benchtop mill, benchtop metal lathe etcetcetcetcetc
but ya know what? know what gives me the greatest pleasure?
when I get to sneak out and hand forge and draw file a blade. using my old lively charcoal forge.
dont get to do it often, but when I do its a lot of fun

and why am I going on about all this? its not ENTIRELY hubris ( I swear heh) its to say thank you. thank you all so very much, your generosity and patience in those early years changed my life and gave me the direction I sought for a decade as an artist. I can honestly say without you fellas Id likely still be hunkered down in my nasty lil cabin, wondering what to do.

peace out
Shane
PS hey Tai, im clooooser! ( in a sing song voice) gawd man im STILL itching to stop over.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:16 AM

Good to hear from you Shane. How much closer are you?

Old 05-24-2016, 03:05 PM
Skilled

welp

I was in the adirondacks in upstate ny, im now about a hour NE of dallas texas, so Id say a fair piece heh.

Tags
bee, blacksmith, blade, building, charcoal forge, file, forge, forging, gun, hammer, hand, hot, knife, metal, mill, shop, steel