MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

A Frontier still life....

In 50 years of building knives and hawks this is the first spike hawk I've ever done, but now that I've got the bug so to speak it won't be the last.

This one is in fact a three way collaboration:
1) The iron head with steel bit was forged by mi compadre, the late Gib Guignard
2) The spike was handforged out of iron by another compadre and neighbor Jerry Rodri
3) Assembly, all decorative work, and aging were done by me - deco on the tiger striped maple handle includes: rawhide wraps, brass and iron tacks, brass wire.
The other items:
1) 28ga Smoothbore by Tom Stroh
2) Re-Handled English style scalper - the blade, hand forged by Gib Guignard, is made of original shear steel. Grip and deco by me
3) Powder Horn - original from SW Virginia area, has two dates scratched into it 1791 and 1825. I re-furbished it by repairing the cracks at the butt with rawhide, added a longer antler tip and the beaded strap.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Skilled

yep, that'll do it.
love your work Chuck

Old 10-15-2013, 11:00 PM

Very nice, Chuck.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 10-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Beautiful work, Chuck!

Old 10-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Guru

Great pieces Chuck!
So period correct and your attention to detail is second to none.

KempKnives.com
Old 12-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Registered

Well done! Think plenty of skills and expertise is required to make such things...

Last edited by andreous; 02-10-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Steel Addict

Chuck as always love your work! I wish I could figure out how you get that aged look on the handles of your pieces? They always look like they were used well back on the day and, have just now miraculously appeared in this day and time!!!

Two thumbs up!

As to the spiked hawks I remember reading a request for supplies to trade with the Indians from the book, Firearms, Traps and Tools of the Mountain Men by Carl P. Russell.

I can't remember the man's name off of the top of my head and I am just roughly quoting it. He had sent drawings to his supplier asking for spiked tomahawks I think it was to trade with the Iriquoes Indians. Anyway he said, in his request I can't understand why they would want this spiked tomahawk, it serves no real purpose that I can see.

Reallly, I have always felt that would be one of the most wicked weapons when used in hand to hand combat! I wouldn't want to go up against it!

Once again really great work Chuck, and your ability to get the great picture is another plus with your pieces!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 12-12-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:33 AM

As always Chuck..., Masterful. Hard to believe that's your first spike hawk!

Ya'know, several years ago, I asked your permission to use your knives as inspiration for part of a native American tattoo for a client. You agreed, but asked me to share pictures of the work with you when finished. I'm not certain I ever lived up to my end of the bargain.

These are camera pictures of paper photos in my first book. Sorry for the quality. The images are small, and part of a larger scene.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Tags
antler, back, blade, brass, building, forged, handle, hawk, horn, iron, knife, knives, made, man, mountain, native american, powder, steel, strap, supplies, tools, weapons