MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:33 AM

Dyeing older horns

Looking for away to dye old deer horns. Or just darken it a little bit.
thanks
Old 01-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Skilled

dying horns

Potassium Permanganate will dye them .You will have to keep and I on them for the color you want.Get it at a feed store . Later Robert

Old 01-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Steel Addict

Caution, it will dye everything it touches purple. Ask me how I know

[IMG]Click for information...[/IMG]
http://bradjohnsonknives.blademakers.com/
Old 01-28-2011, 05:08 AM

Well seasoned (read that heavily used) vinegaroon will give a nice brown finish that does penetrate nicely (have to let the antlere soak over night) dependent on the surface condition of the antler.
Pot.Per. tends to give you a greenish brown as it ages...some like...some don't. Also depends on the age and diet of the deer they came from.....this does vary.
Fiebings Leather Dyes are another means and you have a variety to choose from....just experiment on scrap pieces first.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 01-28-2011 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Registered

Is anyone here familiar with Larry Kemp homemade walnut stain for antlers? I've seen a couple of posts saying it was very good for staining antlers. I'm trying to find out where to get some.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Here's the how-to on using walnut dye - there are several source such as basket making sites that sell the dried hulls
http://knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22426

As for dying antler - I've used about everything any body has ever suggested over the last 50 years and overall my favorite is Fiebings standard leather dyes. I get better color and retention of color over a long period of time than with anything else. Like Crex I used PP for a while but as they aged I too did not care for the color and overtime (especially if not neutralized proper - PP is a chemical reagent works via oxidation of the surface) they also tended to fade and become "ratty" looking.

If leather dye is difficult to obtain (I know some place sin it is in Alaska due to various restrictions) than a couple of easy to use alternatives are a strong brew of either black coffee or black tea - the only "problem" with water based dyes is you then need to allow for a few days drying time.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:01 AM

Chuck,
Have you ever tried combining the wallnut hull and vinegaroon in a soak stain? It's got me thinking. I have some hulls bagged up around somewhere.........and always have plenty of vinegaroon on hand. Might just have to give that combo a try.
Do agree that Fiebings is the easiest and pretty much a "goto" most of the time. Quick and pretty consistant. Just like to experiment from time to time.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-24-2012, 01:26 AM

Can't buy Fiberlings Oil Based Dye in Californis any more only water based dyes.I have to go to oregon now to get it and Barge cement
This state sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Old 01-24-2012, 04:51 AM

It's not the only reason I won't go back to Cal., but it'd rank pretty high on page two.
I heard someone say many moons ago that a blackmarket ops was working near the border.
Kind of funny, can't get Fiebings but can get all the illegals you'd ever want.......Which impacts the environment more?

Feel your pain brother, I'm a big "cordovan" fan and use it a lot (by the quart), but have to special order it. Tandy (local) won't stock it (but they do have pink in the new stuff.....go figure that!).

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-24-2012, 08:37 AM

When yall are staining the antlers are you getting a natural look? I stained an old white antler the other day with Fiebings Light brown leather dye and it looked like I painted it brown. I did not like the way it looked at all. This antler was old and a bit chalky already, but I was trying to figure out a way to salvage those. Any suggestions.
Brandon
Old 01-25-2012, 05:52 AM

Once the antler starts to chalk-up it will really suck up the stain and get darker. I usually work the surfaces pretty good with a wire brush to remove as much of the chalk as possible without ruining the texture of the antler any more than necessary. I've gotten some really nice amber brown coloring using a good long soaking in the vinegaroon - 2 days, with the chalky old antlers. It soaks in pretty good. I then dry completely, wire brush and seal with danish oil, let dry for however long it takes then buff with tripoli compound. Works pretty good if the chalk is not too bad.
If it's real bad I just sand down until most of it's removed then use it. The stains will react a bit differently but can give pretty dramatic resluts. You've got little to lose at this point, so experiment.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-26-2012, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Chuck,
Have you ever tried combining the wallnut hull and vinegaroon in a soak stain? It's got me thinking. I have some hulls bagged up around somewhere.........and always have plenty of vinegaroon on hand. Might just have to give that combo a try.
Yep although on leather what I mostly due si dye walnut first and then use as a "thinned" wash of the vinegar black. On the other hand I've also mixed vinegar black, walnut, RIT, Fiebings and sometimes other things such a red ocher to get the look I wanted.

IMO never be scared to experiment -- just best not to experiment on almost finished items - at least not most of the time.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksc View Post
When yall are staining the antlers are you getting a natural look? I stained an old white antler the other day with Fiebings Light brown leather dye and it looked like I painted it brown. I did not like the way it looked at all. This antler was old and a bit chalky already, but I was trying to figure out a way to salvage those. Any suggestions.
Brandon
What Crex said pretty much. With any leather dye be sure and buff well with a clean rag or such after dying - the dye leaves a powdery residue that leaves the surface looking dull and unfinished. You can then use a good wood sealer or even wood hardener to "harden" up the chalky surface followed by a good waxing or the finish of your choice.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 01-26-2012, 05:09 AM

Experimenting can be a lot of fun when you have the time. I just tried some residual hair coloring agent (don't tell my bride!) on both some leather and some horn just for grins. It's kind of pricey so I stole a bit of hers. Looks like a little will go a very long ways. Will keep you posted.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Guru

Hey Ya'll, sorry I've been so scarce around here lately. I still am using my own homemade Black Walnut stain as a base, but I have been adding Fiebings leather stain, iodine, and vinegaroon. Not at the same times, but in different jars. I added the iodine trying to get an amber stain for the antler, but haven't got one I like yet. I will be interested to hear about the hair dye Carl.

The recipe for the walnut stain is still the same as I first got from Chuck, and here is how I do it now:
1 plastic 30 gallon trash barrel with a good lockable top. (for squirrels)
3 - 5 gallon pails of Black Walnuts. (nut and shell, right off the ground)
1/2 shovel full of dried cow poop from the pasture. (you can probably just use yeast)

I add just enough rain water to keep the mixture a mush. I stir it once a week, and add water. It ferments (and stinks) from roughly October to March. By that time the trash can is about 3/4 full of mush. I have an old pot that I ladel the mixture out with, and strain it (cheese cloth) into containers of my choice. I leave room in each container for Isopropal Alchohol. The Alchohol sets the stain, and I add 1/3 to 1/2 Alchohol, depending on the density I want in the stain.
I get about 15 gallons of pure stain from this, before adding the alchohol.

KempKnives.com

Tags
antler, horn, knife, leather, plastic