MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Registered

Patrick / john mcgill custom knife can some please help me id this knife?????????????

I am hoping someone on here may be able to help me with any info on this knife. I have an opportunity to buy this knife for $500 but I am just not certain that it is a good price. I will first off say I am no expert with knives but do like collecting them. The knife looks very high quality. The handle is made of Siberian Impala horn, the steel is Damascus 130X (is that good?), the ends of the handle look brass and they look pinned, the sheath is some type of snake skin, comes with presentation box /paperwork, made in 1984. The knife is stamped on the top of the blade Patrick McGill but all the paperwork reads John McGill P.O. Box 302 Blairsville, GA 30512 phone#404-745-4686. I have tried calling the number. I have tried different area codes because they had some changes over the years. I tried google anything I could find on either Patrick of John. I tried E-Bay. The only thing I found was in a custom knife directory simply the guy?s name and address that I already have. The question is the knife worth $500? My gut feeling is no because this maker has no following. The question becomes will people pay a premium for a high quality knife if they do not recognize the maker? I would think no. Or am I way off and this maker has some type of a following but I am just not aware? Any help would be most appreciated..
Old 03-21-2015, 11:16 AM
Registered

I have pics but can not seem to figure out how to post them
Old 03-22-2015, 09:27 AM
Skilled

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6505

This link should help you post pictures.

In response to the root of your question, how much is a particular knife worth...I believe you would have a better audience on a collectors website. Although there may be folks who know John or Patrick McGill (I do not) This forum is geared more towards makers as opposed to collectors, even though the two are very intertwined.

Good luck in finding answers to your questions.

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein

Last edited by ATalley; 03-22-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:37 PM

Hello. I'm (the late) John McGill's niece. A cousin screenshotted this post and sent it to my mom for amusement and I figured someone would have said something to you by now. Since they haven't, I joined the forum to try and help you learn what you're looking for. I hope you still have this opportunity. Uncle John's knives are incredible and the few that are left in our family are prized among us.

He has no following because during his knife-making days in Appalachian Georgia, it was a simple word-of-mouth business (he named it Xylo) that my father tried to help him expand. A withdrawn guy, he resisted and quietly made knives for several years before he gave it up altogether in pursuit of his next fancy (there were many). This was the 1980s, which explains why you won't find much on the internet about a technophobe knife maker in a remote county thirty years ago. He eschewed business cards for pete's sake and enjoyed many pseudonyms during his life making connections difficult, which as a hermit, I am sure was the point. Uncle John died in the fall of 2011.

I feel silly in this forum because I know nothing about this craft but can tell you (with obviously questionable objectivity) that the opportunity you have is one to take and if it is available but you decide not to, I'm interested. If available, please reply with info.

I hope any of this is helpful. I enjoyed reading your inquiry.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:51 PM
Guru

Wow!
Old 02-25-2017, 09:58 PM
Registered

Hello family tree,

Maybe you'll see this, if you're subscribed to this thread, and notices are sent.

I have a line on another of your uncle's Xylo knives. If you're still interested in acquiring one, I may be able to assist.

I think my account is set up to allow other forum members to email me. If so, you may do so.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I don't know if family tree will receive a notice. She would not be actively monitoring this thread. There's apparently no way for me to PM or email her. Maybe a forum mod would send my registered email address to her registered email address, with a link to this thread... or something.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edzep View Post
Hello family tree,

Maybe you'll see this, if you're subscribed to this thread, and notices are sent.

I have a line on another of your uncle's Xylo knives. If you're still interested in acquiring one, I may be able to assist.

I think my account is set up to allow other forum members to email me. If so, you may do so.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I don't know if family tree will receive a notice. She would not be actively monitoring this thread. There's apparently no way for me to PM or email her. Maybe a forum mod would send my registered email address to her registered email address, with a link to this thread... or something.

Hello! You are right, I was not actively monitoring as I expected to receive a notification email should anyone have replied. I will look to see if that is a setting I can change. I am absolutely interested in learning more, if the opportunity is still there. I will more frequently check this thread now, in case my efforts to be more accessible fail again. Thanks!!

Tags
awesome, blade, brass, case, collecting, craft, custom, custom knife, damascus, hand, handle, horn, how to, john, knife, knives, made, making, post, sheath, show, simple, small, steel, template