MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:36 AM
Skilled

Xtreme Challenge knife

This is something I came up with for the Extreme Knife Challenge on BladeForum's Wilderness and Survival Skills Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More sub-sub-forum.

Basically, the idea is that a number of knifemakers sign up to make knives that they think will meet the requirements for the challenge and they are sent to one or two judges who put the knives through their paces and post their conclusions about how they performed.

The first one that I heard about was the Custom Machete Challenge, but only after it was over. I would have loved to participate in that one. There have been several others since then, but this is the first challenge I've participated in. The challenge this time is to build a knife to handle extreme survival situations, which can take place anywhere, including urban environments, and may include what would constitute testing to destruction.

I did a rough sketch, then forged the blade from 1 1/2" x 1/4" 5160 steel. I wanted a plenty capable chopping blade with a big belly and the sweet spot dropped below the level of the hand for extra chopping power. However, I wanted the blade to remain straight for general ease of utility (such as drawknife duty and choking up for fine work) and to make it easy to sharpen on a flat stone, so I made the drop come from the curve of the handle and the angle of the blade to the handle. It needed to handle a variety of task sizes, and I wanted it to not be too heavy and to also be somewhat concealable if needed in an urban environment, so I went with a 12" long blade. Big, but it could be slung under a coat or long-sleeved shirt or fit into a backpack.

After forging it out, I decided that although I was quite happy with the profile and that it would make a great brush chopper, the thickness of the blade was a little suspect for some of the suggested activities for the challenge (breaking padlocks and chain, etc.) The spine was approximately 3/16" before the raised clip, 1/8" for most of the false edge, and about 1/16" just back of the point. I knew how it would handle hardwoods and such, but the more extreme end of things had me worried. I decided that I would finish out the blade, but then would forge a heavier version for the challenge.

As it stands now, the Mk II version has been soaked in vinegar to eat off the scale and is ready for stock removal. The false edge area is around 1/4" thick right now, but will thin out a bit. The MkI had a shorter handle than I typically do, making it where I wouldn't have enough room for my usual Turk's head knot at both ends of the handle, so I made the Mk II have my standard handle length.

I chose some subdued olive drab paracord for the handle wrap and two-strand Turk's head knot, sealed in Minwax Wood Hardener. After sharpening, I tested it out on both thin, whippy hackberry branches and a good-sized pecan log. I'm happy with it and will put it on my table at the Blade Show, while finishing up the Mk II version for the Extreme Challenge.

A blog I share with a friend where we think out loud upon occasion: http://shareourcampfire.blogspot.com/

Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

My new blog dedicated to the metalwork I make and sell: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/
Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 AM
Steel Addict

Crow

That is a very interesting knife. can I ask a few questions?

On the handle design, did you offset the blade to counter act any weight issues from forming the base of the handle as you did?

I have seen that design used on a lot a tools, never a knife.

I was wondering if the blade was not offset would it create too much stress on the hand.

I love both the blade and the handle wrap, Great looking knife!

Best of luck on the Extreme Challenge!

Jeff
Old 05-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Skilled

The Mk II version is now ready for heat treatment.

I need to do the stock removal on four more big blades for the Blade Show and then I'll heat treat them as a batch, including the Mk II.

Notice that the false edge isn't as well defined on this one. I wanted to just even it up a bit and not thin down that section much, leaving it plenty thick for hammering.

I've had a couple of people question me recently about my integral socket handles being offset; they aren't. I align them with the blade. There's a little bit of asymmetry due to the ends of the socket preform moving differently than the middle, meaning that the seam side tends to be just a bit flatter than the opposite side. I put the seam to the inside of the fingers so that the more curved side fits into the palm, and when I wrap the handle I lay the end of the cord along the seam before wrapping around it, helping fill out the seam side better and also making the cord *really* anchored.

Here are some pics I took of a different integral socket handle to show what I mean.

The view of the seam side:

The view of the opposite side:

Looking at it from the top. Notice the handle is not offset to the blade but is aligned:

You can also see how much the end of the handle is rolled back on itself. This also makes for a stout anchor for the cord as well as adding some visual interest. Notice also that the socket is an oval cross section, making a mechanical lock in the hand to keep it from turning sideways while chopping. I'm all about handles having mechanical locks.

A blog I share with a friend where we think out loud upon occasion: http://shareourcampfire.blogspot.com/

My new blog dedicated to the metalwork I make and sell: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/
Old 05-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspook2158 View Post
Crow

That is a very interesting knife. can I ask a few questions?

On the handle design, did you offset the blade to counter act any weight issues from forming the base of the handle as you did?

I have seen that design used on a lot a tools, never a knife.

I was wondering if the blade was not offset would it create too much stress on the hand.

I love both the blade and the handle wrap, Great looking knife!

Best of luck on the Extreme Challenge!

Jeff
Not sure I'm following what you're asking, Jeff, but hopefully the previous post answered your question for you. This kind of handle construction, if done properly, is lightweight, strong, and comfortable. There aren't any weight issues.

Ask away if you have any more questions.

I have to give creadit to the amazing Tai Goo for introducing me to the concept of integral socket handles. They're found all across Southeast Asia, the Phillipinnes, Japan, even Oaxaca, Mexico. I had lessons with Tai on how to make them (which I highly recommend if you get the chance!), but adapted it to my own style and needs.

Tags
bee, blade, build, custom, design, edge, forged, forging, handle, knife, knives, lock, machete, palm, post, sharpening, steel, stone, survival