MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 07:38 AM

On Not Losing Sight

NOTE: For the record, I posted the following at the bottom of the "Moderator's Take On The IIHT" post. Then after posting it there, thought that perhaps it might be glossed over as it was on a post that might be, for lack of a better term, "yesterday's news." So, since I think it important, I'm giving it it's own thread. If you've already read it in the other post, you can skip this one. It was predicated on some feelings I got regarding the IITH. But anyway, for good or ill, here it is again. It's not meant to be aimed at any one person--it's aimed at everyone who comes here, including myself. If it comes off as preachy, it wasn't intended to. It's just a "another little piece of my heart" as Janis said. Take it in that spirit, please.

Further Note: It was suggested I make this a "Sticky" so as it could be referred to in the future, should the vision ever be clouded. Since I've had several requests so to do, I made it it's own thread for that purpose. If you have comments or responses, please post them on the thread of the same name down in the body of posts, and not on this one. Thanks.

Just never lose sight of what it's all about.

There are many newcomers to the forum who were not around in the beginning and may not have the slightest idea of what I'm talking about when I refer to the old days.

Yeah, I know I run the risk of sounding patriarchal or past my time, but I've hung in long enough to have earned the right (as have a few others who have been around a good while.) I'm not putting down the newcomers, just the opposite. It's always been about attracting new people of all skill levels to come and hang out with us here, and share, and teach and learn. It was the comraderie and the willingness to share anything any of us knew with anyone who had a sincere desire to learn that was the foundation of both the Neo-Tribal Movement and the forum.

I'm not saying that that has gone away, but as new people come in who never experienced that which we old veterans did, I understand, can't be expected to act as if they did. New people bring new ideas, and attitudes, and consequently, change. And that is good, and I'm thrilled to see that happening.

Still I think it would behoove all new folks here to check out the Neo-Tribal website and check out the old issues of "Tribal Now," the original newsletter of the original Neo-Tribal Metalsmiths for a feel of what it was about in the beginning.

Yeah, the old group and forum had it's problems as any human endeavour will, and the problems we had were devastating at the time--hence my reminiscing and missing the "old days" isn't just the wistful, romantic delusions of someone who saw the frog as a prince and blindly missed the warts. No, I was there and I got burned in the fire just like everyone else.

It's not a return to the old days that I'm advocating. However a rekindling of the spirit that we all had in those days would be nice. I'm thankful to see it in many of the old vets that still hang out with us. They are people who I consider brothers, and who would be welcome in my shop or at my table any time, and who I believe would welcome me at their's. The old days produced lasting friendships--an unbreakable bond that has lasted for years, and crazy as it might sound, even exists between some of us who haven't had the opportunity to meet in person. But the bond is there, nonetheless.

Many on this forum I've had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know, and it has proved one of the great blessings of my life--something I'll always be thankful for. I've learned much about many on this forum, and done much corresponding with many off the forum. I wish it were so with all who visit here. I'm profoundly happy to see the Trackrock boys forming a real group down their way. They've captured the spirit.

When we started the Blue Ridge Tribe it was a momentuous event. We full moon partied all night around the forge. We talked on the phone to the Tuscon tribe that night. A national, and soon, international brotherhood was formed. I went to Europe and stayed in the homes and worked in the shops of Achim and Tim, and felt as welcome and as close as if I was family...because I was. There was something stronger at work than forging, or fire, or knives or forums, although they were quite important.

It's "THAT," whatever you want to call "THAT," that I hoped to get across in my first diatribe above [in the Moderator's Take thread.] It's not about setting rules or cracking the whip. It's not about what you get, it's about what you give. I've got things my son made for me as gifts when he was very young. Are they as polished as the things he makes for me now 15 years later?--no. But they rest among my most prized possessions because of the love and desire to please and effort that went into them.

For that reason I never objected to getting the piece of a newbie. Because I knew that if they had their way, they'd be making heirloom quality pieces, but alas they couldn't (YET) as they were new to the craft. But like receiving a gift from a family member, it's not the gift itself, but the thought and more importantly, the heart behind it.

Remember in this or any IITH held here on the Outpost, that you are receiving something from a family member, be it exotic or crude. It's not about the knives. They are only a catalyst...a point of contact. It's about getting something from a brother or a sister--Trish *g*. If it's not about that, then initiate a trade with someone whose knife you want. That's OK, and it happens all the time. But if you're here, you're expected to be and act like family. Perhaps I've not done a good job of emphasizing that in recent months, or am guilty of assuming that folks who come here just will adopt that mentality. If that be the case, I apologize for my dereliction of duty.

But I'm saying it now, and as long as I'm on watch here, that is the guiding philosophy of the Outpost. Yes, knives are important. Quality work is important. Growth in the craft is important. But there is something more important. When I go from this life, I will not be able to take a knife with me, but I will take the memories and the affections of the people who have lived in my heart and touched my life in such a profound manner. And those I will keep with me always.

Something to think about.

Tags
forge, forging, knife, knives