MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:51 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nozh_scrap
How hard is it to sell a knife?

I mean no disrespect to anyone here, but I think the general public would probably laugh and scoff at some of the $200+ price tags for custom knives. Seems to me most people are content with their mass produced walmart knives....

So how hard is it to sell a handmade knife? What kinds of people lay down that much cash for a blade? How do you determine how to price your blades? Where do you go to sell?

Old 06-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I admit that there are more people who will not pay $200+ for a knife than there are who will. However, I have been a full time knifemaker for 5 years and I certainly am not the only one. Knifemaking has been my sole source of income during that time so my conclusion is that there are enough people out there who will pay the price.

Most people, as you said, are content with their mass produced knives. Many of my customers fit that description when I first met them. Then you educate them, give them time to absorb the informations, demonstrate the advantages of your knives over the commercial knives they have, and suddenly $200 isn't such a barrier any more.

There is an extensive thread on the subject of how knives are priced. You can find it with the Search so I won't go into all that here as it can be quite a complex subject. As for where to go to sell, there are just as many answers to that as there are knife makers but I would say the majority either go to a lot of shows and/or they sell from their own website. Of course, anyone you personally know is a potential customer. A few try to sell on eBay, some take out ads in the trade magazines (very expensive), some go to flea markets and swap meets, some sell knives on consignment to purveyors........there's almost no end to the possibilities ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Guru

Ray said it very well but just to add. I always tell individuals who ask " Why should I spend that much money on a knife " ? I tell them they shouldnt and should buy a cheaper knife that will get them buy. Spend the rest of their money on more important things. Those people usually arent KNIFE people. Anyone who is serious into knives and uses them day in and day out never asks that question. With that being said, Even though I make knives, I LOVE buying Custiom knives. Helping a Maker decide what materials to use, Building a friendship with the Person that is making your knife. Having a story to tell around the campfire.........Those are just a beginning to the advantages of buying a custiom Knife.

Your best bet is not to buy one......once you do.......YOUR HOOKED ! You wont get that same feeling from a Walmart knife.

I have 2 customs on their way to me now and That mailman cant come quick enough...

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 06-25-2005, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Please, oh please, read this thread:

http://knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29283

Then, let me add this: There are knives advertised for sale - either online or at shows - that are NOT worth the asking price. A custom knife is NOT valued by the materials or time that went into making it. The value is in the quality of the work. NO factory can carefully select desert ironwood and decide the best shape for cutting. They can't make each knife unique.

You are right; most people are perfectly happy with a WalMart knife. They are shiny and they are cheap. I see knives from 3rd world countries on sale at gun shows that would cost me double their price just to buy a piece of steel that size. And I know what kind of steel they must be using, while the general public just sees the pretty shine.

I'm just a hobbyist, so I'll save the sales pitch angle for others. I can tell you that I have made knives for good friends and watched their eyes pop out when they hold the first custom knife they've ever had. And I can tell you that it gets shown and bragged on around the campfire.

It doesn't take long around TKN to see some makers that are just amazing. If I had the cash, I'd like nothing better than to have a few of those maker's knives (and sheaths!) on display. Same thing should be said for some of the engravers! The guys who buy knives in WalMart may not appreciate the quality or the art, but there are people who do.

Old 06-25-2005, 01:35 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nozh_scrap
Thanks guys.

I searched for this topic and found quite a bit of stuff. It's interesting.....I personally would find it hard to get rid of a knife that I put my own sweat, time (and skin) into making. I think I'd keep the first 20 before I'd let any of them go...

Anyway....I know all this stuff has been posted before, and I appreciate you guys helping me out and providing positive feedback anyway.

Old 06-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Steel Addict

nozh_scrap

When you get around to selling knives, their will two types of buyer's. Ones that look's at the price first, and the ones that look's at the knife first. I try to have knives that fit both buyers.
I have had people ask why the knife is so high, and I explain about the time and process it take to make a knife and ask them if the hunt, if so what kind of gun,scope they use. How long do they expect it to last. Most answer their lifetime, so you have about $500-$700 in a rifle combo and you dont want to spend a $100 or more for a knife of their choose that will last their life time. Once some of them think about it it chances their mind about custom knives.

http://www.finchknives.com/
Old 06-28-2005, 12:14 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
It is true, selling somthing that your heart and soul went into is akin to selling your kids at times. But I always know in my heart that I could do it again (make another knife that is!!). And for me, one of the great joys of selling one of my knives is the look on the customers face when I deliver it to them. To me thats what makes it all worth while.

I am the proud owner of several custom knives. Some are made by ABS Master Smiths, some are made by no name makers, but they ALL are a treasures to me. To know that each knife represents a persons skill and love of their craft means much to me.

And it sure is a hoot to hear one of your customers bragging to his buddies that he owns one of your knives, and naming the amazing feats they will preform!! Makes you want to smile.

And when I have that knife I just cant seem to part with for whatever reason, I give it to my Wife. She loves the gift, and I know I could never sell it not matter what I need for the shop!! LOL

God Bless
Mike

Old 06-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Steel Addict

Look around in these forums .....the craftmanship , the beauty of the designs and materials, the inlay , scrimshaw, engraving , types and colors and qaulity of the steel, fit and finish...are amazing and all are one of a kind custom made. It took years of dedication for these knifemakers to achieve that level of skill and qaulity. You are not gonna find that in a massed produced knife. Therein lays the value of a custom knife, The maker has demenstrated his ability to make a superior knife in both funcion and beauty at a level far above a factory knife or one that most of us will ever make. The price you pay for Qauility, uniqueness, and superiority is higher as well it should be. most people understand that and if they can afford it they buy the best.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
knife pricing

Some knives are super pricey because of who made them. You see Bill Moran ST-24's in plain carbon steel selling for around $10,000 at auction because it is a Bill Moran knife. Ditto for Jerry Fisk and a few others. But consider this. A lesser known newer smith can create a combat knife that performs like the dickens and sell it in that over $200 range. The genral public may balk at this, but then again, if a customer is looking for a high performance knife, how much is he going to payfor a really good production knife made from attractive materiels? One you get beyong the knife with cheap intergral kraton handles/guards, you are well over the $100 mark. Price a Cold Steel San Mai Trailmaster or magnum Tanto or and SOG Bowie or any of a number of knives from Al Mar and you will see that $200 for a quality handmade is not such a big deal. You will never sell one to a guy who buys a $500 rifle and scope combo from Wal Mart, but you can sell them to a guy like me who buys a $1500 to 2000 Winchester, Ruger, Kimber, Remington,/ Leupold, Kahles, Swarovski, Pentax, et al rig fron Outdoor World or Cabelas. And I will tell you this. Those guys are not doing it.. Best stuff they have is Beretta and William Henry stuffl
Joe

Tags
blade, knife, knives