MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Steel Addict

cracked blade

ok so heres what happened i made a knife a drop point style it was looking realy good, filed it sanded it , still looks good. i then normalized it but only once. heated it to non magnetic then quenched the edge. cleaned it up a little and put it in the oven. 425f for a couple of cycles. went to sand and found a crack along the spine about 1 1/2 inches from the tip. it only went to where i quenched the blade. i figured i would finish it anyway for a test knife but i put to much pressure and it snapped. the steel is 1095. can anybody see where i went wrong? or is god out to get me
Old 12-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Skilled

Hey Terrance,

Not that I don't want to answer your question, but this can of worms is going on over at another thread.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=48864

Might find what you're lookn for there.

chiger,

Last edited by chiger; 12-05-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Steel Addict

but i forgot to mention that i quenched with tranny oil. im not sure what the temp was but it was warm
Old 12-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Here's a couple of things to check:

Are you sure it's 1095? If you didn't buy it from a steel supplier it's close to impossible to be sure.

You heated to non-magnetic and quenched. Are you sure you got to non-magnetic and no further? You don't want to go more than 50 degrees beyond.

Did you get to the quench within 1 second of removing the blade from the heat source? With 1095 that's important. You can dilly around positioning the blade over the quenchant, adjusting your grip, and easing it into the oil at just the right depth. You lose far too much heat that way.

How fast did you get to the tempering oven after you quenched? Depending on some details, 1095 doesn't like to wait very long at all.

If some of these things seem like they might be the cause of your problem then consider 1080 or 1084 for the next knife. It's a bit more forgiving .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-06-2008, 07:29 AM
Steel Addict

thanks for the ideas i did hit the quench fast but i didnt get to the oven for a couple of hours. would 01 be more gorgiving ? my local supplier only gets 01 and 1095.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

It's always a good idea to get to the tempering oven as soon as possible with any steel but that's true for 1095 more than most. If you leave it sit at can crack all by itself.

O1 might be more forgiving in this regard but it is more demanding in the heat treat if you really want to get the most from it. The methods you're using will work with O1, you just won't get the maximum results.

I'd try the 1095 again since that's what you have. Everybody has failures in heat treating, especially at first. I've been doing this for 14 years and I still lost 9 out of 12 blades when trying to water quench 1095 .......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
blade, knife