MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:08 PM

glueing challenges

Is there some trick to ensuring you don;t get glue on the outside of the sheath. I invariably end up with a bit of glue on the front or back of the sheath and have not found a way to get it off that does not effect the dyeing process. And of course the glue itself does't dye so the sheath ends up with marks on it.
An advice greatly appreciated.
Steve

Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Skilled

Once the glue is introduced to the leather....it's too late. The answer is to gain better control of your process, and thereby reduce the liklihood of contaminating the leather in the first place. Working slower and using smaller amounts of the glue and maintaining better control of it is the way to go.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Well all is not necessarily lost - most of the time just let the glue dry on the surface and once dry use a good CLEAN pencil eraser and 9 times out of ten it will rub off - but don't let it dry too long. If the glue has dried for too long you can try cleaning the whole piece not just the spot with glue, with acetone, but at that point it is often a crap shoot.
What Ed say is very good advice......a couple of hints on maintaining good control of the process:
1) Start with a clean brush and dip only half of the brush in the glue at a time, especially when doing small areas - my brush is not stored in the same container as the glue - I have an old glue can that I keep half filled with the glue's matching thinner, this way my brush and the shaft are kept clean.
2) Make sure the glue is at the proper consistency - if you're getting those strings sticking to the can and the brush the glue is too thick - thin it. It's better to use multiple coats of glue if need be rather than glopping on one thick one.
3) Set up your glue so you do not cross over the piece you're gluing up - this prevents drips onto the leather.
4) Use a good clean surface that spills or drips can be cleaned off easily and quickly.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the help
Steve

Old 05-28-2010, 09:13 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Steve, friend,----Try dyeing and using a finish coat prior to assembly and you will eliminate the problem by at least 85%. Once the dye and finish has dryed it is quite easy to erase the offending glue. If the finish is dulled the finish coat of wax will take care of that problem. Try it on some scrap and you will see what can be done in the way of salvage----Sandy

Tags
sheath