MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 03-25-2001, 12:26 AM
dogman

The History of the Chute Knife

Hi, Steve.
What is your take on the history and design on the chute knife? I know you made a chute designed by Harry Archer, but I don't know who Harry Archer is.

To me (being the super-duper paratrooper that I am), a useful chute knife would have a gut hook on it for two reasons:

1. If you had to grab it to cut away, with the nature of the position your are in (suspension lines behind you), a reverse swipe will be the easiest, most efficient way to reach back. This is going to be a blind, behind the head cut in the best of situations. You will probably be tumbling, though.

2. The gut hook would help gather the suspension lines as you make your swiping motion. There will be no time to think.

We are talking static line jumping here. Training jump heights are typically 800-1150 feet. Combat jumps are 500 feet. Jumping from 1000 feet, you lose 300 feet or so upon exit from the plane as your chute deploys (everyone count...one thousand...two thousand...three thousand...four thousand...). With a partial malfunction (chute has some lift capability) you might have a bit more time, but with a full malfunction right from the exit of the plane, there is no slow down, only acceleration. With those few seconds, and instinctive, repetitive training, a cut-away has to be successfully accomplished in one swipe to allow time for the reserve chute to be employed and blossom. If you pull your reserve with the ground 250 feet away, it will open to full lift capability about 2 seconds after you hit the ground Ouch.
Old 03-25-2001, 01:09 AM
srjknives

Harry Archer was a VMI Grad. who spent a lot of time in Vietnam; at least while I knew him, s well as other hot spots. He was a paratrooper and what I remember (this was about 30 yrs ago) is that the 'Chute Knife was an all-purpose knife that could get you out of a tree, should you get hung up, and serve as a general survival and combat knife. The top sharp clip was to be used in much the way you describe, Bob - in an over the head backwards swipe.

I am not able to report much on his "activities," really. I do remember him wrting from the field in Vietnam while I was in L.A.

I do, also, remember him as one of the nicest, most classy, gentlemen I've had the privilige of knowing. He died a few years ago. His memory will always mean so very much to me. What fond memories you've brought back, Bob. You'd have gotten along with him very well.

My "Archer 'Chute," designed in about 1972-73, was different than the Loveless version, maybe designed in about 1970-71(?), as it was a bit shorter and had a straighter handle and more belly in the bottom edge and a sharper-angled clip on top.

It would be neat, in my oinion, if Ken Warner and Bob Lovess were to write a book about him. A truly great man, who is worthy of being remembered.

Old 03-25-2001, 01:15 PM
CKDadmin

Hey Steve ...

I asked this in the general forum on this topic, but I'd rather ask you directly. Do you know why the Chute knife was never designed with a "leash" type of thing that might have attached to your belt? I've always wondered why they didn't make it where it wouldn't get away from you if you were trying to cut loose in a violent freefall ...

I know it's not a very stylish component, but I'd hate to fumble one in that type of emergency situation.

Alex
Old 03-26-2001, 09:49 AM
srjknives

All I can say to that is that both models had a lanyard hole at the end of the handle which could serve as you describe. The Johnson version had a 3/8" hole. Both had holes through the guard to allow lashing to a stick ,as in "spear/lance," should the situation warrant. Otherwise, I'm not sure if the holes address the "leash" question, or not.
Old 03-26-2001, 11:25 AM
CKDadmin

We'll ...

Having said that. I've seen them without the lanyard hole, so that made me wonder. Of course, they certainly weren't SRJ's.

I'll tell you one thing ... now that I think of it. If my life were on the line, I'd like to know that it was an SRJ caliber knife in my hand.

I'd also bet, many men here would agree with me too! There are some things that just shouldn't be short-changed.

In fact, I may need to go over to Bladeforums again on a "mission of mercy" one day, so I better start saving up to get me one. I'll probably need it ...

Alex
Old 03-26-2001, 12:38 PM
srjknives

Yore so kind!

Actually they seem to be a very nice bunch of folks over there.

Even them what don't know that they're talkin' to a reeel famus guy! (We all need to be humbled now and then, did me good).

I've never seen a 'Chute w/o a thong hole, interesting....
Old 03-26-2001, 06:50 PM
JerryO13

I was wondering about this also, to me a chute knife looks like the wwII quartermasters knife with a sharpened clip. the quartermasters knife was basically a 5 1/2" in version of the marine fighting knife (ka-bar) with a wider blade about 2" so it had more belly. otherwise same construction (stacked leather washer handle)

I also know that the german partroops where issued a small auto. the blade didn't pop out however, they had a horsepick looking thing, which was a gut style hook. on the auto button.
Old 03-26-2001, 08:20 PM
Taz575

can someone post a pic of a chute knife?? I have seen some, but would like to see one of the original. From the description, it sounds like a good all around knife!
Old 03-27-2001, 02:52 AM
ansoknives

This reminds me that the most beatyfull knife i have ever seen was a Chute by Steve. it is probably the one refered to. It has stag handle and the holes in the guard. It is a beauty
Old 03-27-2001, 03:21 AM
CKDadmin

Yeah ... let's get a real Chute knife image in here to look at. We want an SRJ!

BTW - where's that webmaster of yours? I want at least one SRJ image a week in here. How about you men?

My goodness, Dog. You've got "the man" under contract and ain't even showing us any goodies to look up to...

You know? Steve, most webmasters (except me )are like "pinatas". You have to beat the crud out of them to get any goodies to fall out! :

Alex
Old 03-27-2001, 08:48 AM
dogman

Chute Knife

Does anyone else see these personal attacks Alex is making on me? Actually, the only good color pics of Steve's chute knives are in one of the the Weyer Points of Interest books. I would have to make a scan.
Old 03-27-2001, 10:00 AM
KnifeWife

Re: Chute Knife

Wow!!!!! The things you can learn here on this forum. I thought I was collecting "shoot" knives in the bottom drawer of my shop. Every time I mess one up,I pitch it in the drawer and say "SHOOT"!!!!!!!,then start over.
Now I find out theres a market for them.

hehehehehehehehehe.

BTW This is Gene Not Pat,just logged on as her.
Old 03-27-2001, 10:59 AM
srjknives

Thanks, Jens. By the way, did that "Chute, to which you refer, have a thick guard, about 5/8" or so? If it did, I know which one you mean.

Gene, come to think of it, it didn't sound like that sweet Pat. You can't fool us!

As to Bob's performance as "Webmaster," all I can say is, "I'm unworthy!" He's fantastic!

I do have an SRJ "Chute knife" photo that I'll scan and "shoot" (You're so funny, Johnson...not!) off to Bob. This one has stag and two handle screws. It's true to the original Archer design, checkered behind the guare, 3/8" thong hole and holes through the guard, except the first ones had three handle screws.

Bob's "Weyer Book" source would be good for the Loveless-style version.

If you'd like to see a nice photo, by the owner, showing some wonderful engraving on some Johnson's you can drop by my "Availables" page at:
www.srjknives.com/srjavail.htm

No 'Chute knives there, (shoot!) but it's a nice photo featuring Firmo Fracassi, Pedersoli, Pedini and Steve Lindsay.

Old 03-27-2001, 12:01 PM
CKDadmin

Steve, I'll take the credit for everything Bob knows about the web. Even though he learned it all on his own, I'm still willing to take the credit ...

However, I'm also willing to take a whoopin, so long as we can get some SRJ's posted around here.

Gene ... I'm telling Pat you were out here dirtying up her image while she wasn't looking ... You don't have to use Pat's good name to get some SRJ tips. :

Alex
Old 03-27-2001, 12:20 PM
JerryO13

GenO Denning has one at his website www.cavemanengineering.com/

Steve, I really would like to see one of yours. Does anyone know which Weyer book it's in?

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives