MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
"Magnum" Platen

For a while now been considering a larger platen that I could interchange between my grinders. the "Caffrey" platen works great, but I've found the need for a longer platen when working on longer blades. Last week I decided it was time to just build it. After a couple of days of trial and error, I came up with the solution I needed. It retains the 1 1/2" (top) and 3" (bottom) contact wheels that I've come to find indespensible, but where my standard "Caffrey" platen has a max platen face of about 7 1/2" long....this one has a max platen length of 10 1/2".

The platen itself is actually a three piece design...... 1) The "platen holder" which started out as a piece of 3/8" X 2" angle iron, and attaches the platen to the attachment body,
2) a piece of 5/16" X 2" A36 hot roll, with a "shelf" at the bottom, and the Pyroceram platen face, that is acraglassed onto the A36, and attaches to #2 with two 1/4" X 3/4" button head screws.

Here's a pic of the glass faced platens that are interchangeable.....the one on the platen is 8 1/2" and that one I'm holding next to it is 10 1/2".

For my grinder setup, I think I've reached the maximum platen length.....unless I start raising the grinder with a thicker "platform"....but then the height of the platen wouldn't be "right" for me.

In case anyone notices.....there is a reason for the "gap" between the bottom of the platen face and the lower contact wheel......that is where I create my convex edges during finish grinding, as well as many other task where a "slack" belt is need, and I don't have to change attachments. It's not as versatile as the original "Caffrey" platen, but I'm learning that in certain situations, I'm willing to take the time the change attachments.

I did have to make one major modification to the KMG.....I had to trim the base plate, so the belt didn't "rub"...........

Just thought I'd share, in case there is anyone out there who might find the need for a longer platen as I did.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 03-20-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Master

Looks good Ed and nice batch of pictures. I see you also picked up some finger clearance on the left side with the 'c' cutout. If you want longer or even lower to get on top of things, maybe you could notch the bench since you already cut the base.

Thanks for the shop pictures, Craig
Old 03-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
One of the big things was the "left side" clearance. It allows me to slap the filing guide on a blade and true up plunge cuts in a jiffy. I'd actually thought about notching out the bench when I first started the project.....but it just seemed like more work then I wanted to do.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Tags
angle, bee, blade, blades, build, build it, design, iron, knife, make, notch, project