MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 12-12-2004, 02:55 PM
Registered

Old Grinder upgrade

I bought a cast iron frame 1"x42" belt sander recently. This was a great buy at $20, but now its time to modify. The motor need replacing that's a given, 1/2hp adequate or should I go for 3/4hp ? The sander has no idler for belt tension or tracking, just a solid frame with two 2" wheels between a small platen and then the motor drive wheel which is 8 in dia.

I'd like to upgrade to 2"x48" on the cheap, I could buy wheels from Beaumont, but what about the drive wheel for the motor ? If I use a 1725 rpm motor, can I use a molded phenolic wheel with roller bearings say 10" to obtain the correct fpm ? The wheels are available from Mc Master Carr for $15.

I'd be mainly using this for handle profiling and minimal if any stock removal. I might be making some carving knives and reprofiling woodworking chisels, etc.

Any help will be appreciated

Mike
Old 12-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

We may be having a problem with terminology here. You're saying the machine currently has an 8" drive wheel and you are considering using a 10" drive wheel. I've never seen a 1x42 with a drive wheel that size but that doesn't mean you don't have one. For the sake of clarity, the drive wheel is the one attached directly to the shaft of the motor. On my 1x42 the drive wheel is about 3".

If you do use a 10" drive wheel on a 1725 motor you will have about 4516 FPM. That might be faster than you want for working on handles but a lot of that is personal choice. Anyway, it's way too fast for my tastes.

You asked about using the McMaster Carr wheel that has roller bearings. Drive wheels don't have bearings, they connect solidly to the motor shaft so, again, it sounds like you might be talking about a contact wheel instead of a drive wheel. You could probably use this wheel for a contact wheel. It will give you the same FTM as the 8" contact wheel does if you continue using the same drive wheel. Without knowing the drive wheel size, I couldn't tell you what speed that might be.

If in fact you do have an 8" or 10" drive wheel then be advised that although the belt speed will likely be very high you will have very, very little torque. So, on your question of horsepower if the wheel is truly that large you're going to want a BIG motor. My 2x72 JL grinder originally came with an 8" drive wheel and a 1hp motor and it was embarrassingly easy to stop with a little pressure on the platen or contact wheel. After reducing the drive wheel to 4" I have much less belt speed (a blessing!) and a lot more usable power.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-14-2004, 12:09 AM
Skilled

http://p222.ezboard.com/fprimalfires...picID=22.topic

Here is a thread for the upgrades I have done on my 1X42. I have used this much maligned little grinder for 7 years. As I have grown new upgrades were added to the machine. I now have bigger and better grinders in my shop, but I still do all my finish work on the 1X42.

Tags
knives