MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 11-07-2002, 02:14 PM
Misternatural?

The ultimate forge !!!

I've used everything! All types of coal, gas and charcoal forges, and there is no doubt in my mind that the "forgebeque" is the ultimate forge for bladesmithing and blacksmithing. I answer so many questions about building forges, and folks always have preconcieved ideas about what they think they want. I try to help them, but the truth is, I wouldn't waste my time with anything else but a forgebeque. The only exception would be for pattern welding. In that case I would suggest a gas forge. The forgebeque will work for pattern welding, but gas makes it easier. For "forging to shape", nothing will compare to the system I now use. We've been over and over forge lining... WOOD ASH IS THE ULTIMATE!!! There is NO good substitute. I can work the forge to get a 1 inch heat, right on up to a two foot heat, with full control. So many folks seem to be under the impression that to forge a 12 inch blade, they need a 12 inch heat. This is totally incorrect! It is better to focus the heats to 1-3 inches at a time. If you take a 12 inch heat on a 12 inch blade, you will have many problems, with the exception of heat treating. For example, if you take a heat over the whole blade when forging to shape, and you hit the blade towards the ricasso, the point of the blade flips up! The shock transfers thought the blade to the point. This continual flip floping fatigues the steel! However, if you heat only the portion you are working the blade will stay straight. Also if you do integrals, they will heat unevenly because of the varing thicknesses of the form and the thin sections over heat. You have to have the capability to go from a small focused heat to a long even heat for heat treating. It is difficult, if not impossible to do this nearly as efficiently with any type of gas forge. The primary difference with ash is that it is a "soft" insulator, powder actually, and can be formed to any application. No worries about cracking or wearing out, and it renews itself every time you use it. I have been bladesmithing for some 26 years now, I am totally convinced that this system is best. I would be glad to entertain this topic and answer any questions about the forge. It looks simple, but there is a lot more to it than meets the eye. I wasted years of my life fooling with other forges, don't make the same mistake!
Old 11-07-2002, 02:18 PM
Misternatural?

Here it is burning wood, but it will burn charcoal, coal, nut shells, whole corn feed, and mesquite beens to name a few. I haven't tryed it yet, but I'm thinking with a simple refractory top, it may work with gas as well.

Last edited by Misternatural?; 11-07-2002 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:24 PM
Master

I mentioned wood ash to someone
not to long ago, and they gave me
a sly grin..
I guess they just need to try it?????
Also mentioned something
about using White vinegar
to remove scale etc.. Got them same
look

Old 11-07-2002, 02:26 PM
Misternatural?

It's frustrating to me as a teacher, because I want to help folks do what they want to do, but I wouldn't do it this way if I didn't think it was best. I do everything the best way I know how.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:27 PM
Misternatural?

This is reality. NOT fantasy!
Old 11-07-2002, 02:51 PM
Skilled

Tai, I'm very interested in this. Would you recommend this design to a newbie, over a gas forge? Do you think you could explain your design a little. How deep is the forge, how much ash is needed, what about the blower mrchanics?

Cheers.

Old 11-07-2002, 03:26 PM
Misternatural?

This forge is best for advanced smiths ... so it is also best for newbies. I make no distinction there. The white belt is above the black belt and the black belt is above the white belt, it's all the same!
Old 11-07-2002, 03:30 PM
Skilled

Well that's good news, 'cos it looks as if it's in my price range

Seriously, it doesnt look expensive to build - what are you using to blow wind through there?

Old 11-07-2002, 03:49 PM
Misternatural?

I have two now and one has a hand crank blower and the other uses a hair dryer. I'll put up some more pics and draw a diagram.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:52 PM
Misternatural?

Forgebeque #1.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:54 PM
Misternatural?

Old 11-07-2002, 03:56 PM
Misternatural?

Forgebeque #2.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:59 PM
Misternatural?

Old 11-07-2002, 04:03 PM
Misternatural?