MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:53 AM

Which burner/gas to use for gas forge

Hi guys,

I'm new to knifemaking and just starting out. I have already finished the first blanks which are, at least theoretically, ready for heat treating. I could send them off to a professional knife maker to let him do the heat treating but that would cost me 20 ? - 30 ? per blade. So I figured I might as well get some inspiration from YouTube and decided to build a primitive "gas forge" using gas concrete bricks I had lying around. I used the same method as shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qZVcQdvuyc

I also bought a burner with some mulitgas (30 % propane, 70 % butane) from the local hardware store (see pic enclosed). The thing is: I can't get the #### thing up to temperature. Even after 20 minutes of pre-heating the forge and placing thin piece of steel inside for 15 minutes I can't get it hotter than a very very dull red, which is barely noticeable.

So my question is: Is it the burner, the gas I use, or both?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-26-2017, 12:38 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

The problem is the entire thing. That's a torch, not a burner and there is a huge difference. That little torch will never be able to heat up much brick and until the brick is hot the steel won't get hot.

A better approach is to build your own simple burner, build a simple forge body using Kaowool or some similar product, and feed the whole thing with propane. Propane comes in larger 20 lbs bottles of the type you usually find on BBQ pits. I know you are in Germany but I'm hoping you have propane bottles and BBQ pits over there.

I have a DVD that details the steps in building a simple burner and forge body, it runs about 90 minutes. In the video I build two different burners and a forge body start to finish and then demonstrate how it works. The video is $12 US shipping included. You can also get it off Amazon for a few dollars more but that might be easier for you. Look for it under Knife Making for Noobs Forge Building. You really need it ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-26-2017, 12:43 PM
Hall of Famer

The main problem is the concrete blocks that you are using. They are a real heat sink and are sucking up all the heat from those little bottles. What the maker used in that video was not concrete but what are a soft fire brick, note how easily he shaped them with hand tools, that are the same thing that is used to line pottery kilns with.

Those little torches can be made to work but will quickly leave you with a pile of empty bottles it would be better that you build a regular forge with an aspirated or blown burner. If you google up some forge plans you will get a better idea of what you need.

Doug

Last edited by Doug Lester; 04-27-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:45 AM
Guru

Yep everything will creat a problem. Get rays video its cheap and will show you step by step how to make a forge and burners. It is NOT complicated or expensive. Simple description a metal shell with kao wool or inswool and satinite on the inside the floor is made from a HARD FIRE brick not concreate.....concrete or any regular brick will take forever to heat up EVEN if you had a proper burner....as far as the burner deffinitly WAY to weak for a forge,...examples of the type of burners you want is in the link below....however if you don't have the money to buy one just make one (again simple cheap instructions on rays video) If you want proof that that torch wont be stron enough ask Kyle he started with one of them and got NO WHERE I got him a proper burner and now he is well on his way....
Old 04-27-2017, 08:50 AM
Guru

Oh and those are not concreat brick they are SOFT FIRE bricks.....Hard fire I use for the floor but its much easier and better just to make one with a shel and kao wool
Old 04-27-2017, 01:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Dtec1, I doubt that Ray's video will work in Germany unless he knows how to play with the programming of the player. Maybe, Solingen, you could look for a Youtube video that shows how to build a real burner and gas forge.

Doug

Old 04-27-2017, 04:58 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Actually, I know how to play with the programming of the DVD. I'm pretty sure what I made is free of any Region code so Germany shouldn't be a problem on that score. However, the DVD is NTSC which is the format we use here, Solingen may or may not be able to play that depending on his particular hardware. But, if he can't handle NTSC then I can produce a copy in PAL format which is common in Europe and that should solve that issue ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
art, blade, blanks, brick forge, build, building, burner, fire, forge, gas forge, handle, hardware, heat, heat treating, hot, how to, knife, knife making, knifemaking, primitive, show, simple, steel, store, video