MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:29 PM
Enthusiast

440C Recipe

I have searched the threads and I'm only finding bits and pieces of HT info. I need your entire recipe for heat treating 440C and CPM154.

Does your tempering change if you don't use a cryo treatment? Not sure that cryo is always going to be an option for me so I need instructions with and without.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Guru

Nobody's answered IKW? Dave where are you? lol

440C standard HT is pretty straightforward as I'm sure you've seen Irish. Here is Alpha Knife Supply's list of 440C HT by manufacturer.(yes it makes a difference)
https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/sho...tainless-steel
Bottom of page for links.

I am not an expert on 440C irish, sorry. I've done it, but used dry ice and not LN cryo. Air Force actually calls for dry ice, but for toughness, not hardness I would think, but here is Jay Fisher's site and info on that.
http://www.jayfisher.com/Heat_Treati...omium_Carbides
Take with a grain of salt unless you're able to understand tech journals.

I will tell you about an experiment Dtec, Dave, did at my request as I wanted to find out if a cryo treatment would help after full and final HT and tempers were finished. Dave cryo'ed a finished 440C knife in LN overnight and the knife increased in hardness by almost a whole point of hardness, actually 0.9 RC hardness, measured 4x. That is significant, almost 10x. Would still need a temper afterwards as Ray pointed out to me, but interesting nonetheless.

Apparently if you wanted to squeeze an extra half a point in hardness a 3rd cryo would be useful and would add to the toughness.

Texas Knife Supply offers to cryo their blades they get from mostly China I guess and I was wondering if it was useful at all. Apparently yes, but I do not think they temper these blades so Caveat Emptor! They will be harder, but also more brittle and with untempered stresses.

As for CPM154 I cannot help you as I have never used it.

Tags
440c, blade, blades, cpm, cryo, heat, heat treating, htm, interesting, knife, knife supply, salt, shop, stainless, steel, supply, toughness