MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast

Very good information. Thanks man.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast

You're welcome Walter.
I believe in attempting to "pay it back" as they say as best I can to whomever I can.
Many people have helped me on knifenetwork and I appreciate it.
The least I can do is maybe offer some info to anyone that may ask as a way of paying it back.
DAVID
Old 02-13-2016, 05:00 PM
Enthusiast

Yea I'm loving all the information on here already. Everyone has been really helpful.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:04 AM
Enthusiast

I stand corrected in my previous wording..........
I believe the correct wording is "PAY IT FORWARD" not pay it back!!
No big deal, but I hate those occasional senior moments.
DAVID
Old 02-14-2016, 02:27 PM
Guru

Are you just using 1095?

I presume you are oil quenching it. At my last job we ended up having to wrap the heat treat foil on our O1. Wrap it in such a way that you can cut the end off with a good pair of tin snips and drop the part point down into the oil. Have a basket in the oil container to move the knife around. Pull it out, wipe and temper. The wrap works just as well for oil quench alloys as it does for the air quench high chromium alloys, but you have to have a controllable kiln to do it to be accurate.

BTW, I read you can take O1 and wrap in the foil and quench in lukewarm water. I'm going to give it a try next time I go down to use the local college's blacksmithing forge. I'll let you know how it works.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, jimmontg, I appreciate your comments on O1......but I prefer to not get into quenching mediums or even foil use with O1 on this thread.
I also do not want to drop my knife into a basket in my quench medium, nor do I wish to spend money on the foil.......especially with 1095.
I have another thread going on HT Procedure for 1095 that has a lot of good interesting info and has come to a conclusion....... as far as I am concerned anyway.
All I'll say here is, yes, I am only referring to 1095 and yes, I will be oil quenching and right now 1095 is all I will be heat treating.
I prefer to NOT use the foil method with 1095 for various reasons that most concur with.
My intent with this thread was to find info regarding less expensive, locally obtainable and possibly some easy home brews for anti-scale/decarb coatings rather than ordering ATP-641.
I, myself, will definitely be trying Milk of Magnesia for 1095......looks promising to me and worth a try.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:22 PM
Guru

Have you considered welding flux? Wet the knife and cover with it. You can buy it at welding stores in a can and it's fairly inexpensive. Welding flux will definitely keep oxygen off the steel. Although now that I think about it it may be hard to get off. It was just a thought.

Last edited by jimmontg; 02-22-2016 at 09:26 PM.

Tags
1095, art, bee, blade, blades, brand, build, coat, forge, forging, grinding, helping, ivory, knife, makers, making, ore, quenched, scale, sell, store, supplies, temper, tools, white