MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:40 PM

Bronze?

Many makers use bronze for there fittings from time to time.

What is the preferred type of bronze?

I just did some reading and find that many 'bronzes' are actually brass alloys. Some are alloyed with aluminum, iron, manganese, etc.

Is there a preferrence?

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 10-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Bronze is generally an alloy of copper and tin, while brass is generally an alloy of copper and zinc. There are a multitude of different ratios and all sorts of additives (like lead) that modify the properties of the alloy.

Since a lot of cheap knives from Pakistan and such often use brass, it gets sorta frowned upon by custom knifemakers here.

I don't know that I've seen a particular alloy that's been commonly used around here.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:43 AM

I actually don't mind brass and make it a point to completely disregard stigma and popularity in the knifemaking world--it's sort of my thing actually. I made a brass fitted knife a few weeks ago.

That being said, if I use bronze, I want it to be bronze, not some brass alloy that the maker is selling as a bronze just because there happens to be a small amount of tin in the mix. Looking at some of these, they look more like brass (like 385 architectural and silicon bronze).

I also want to avoid oil impregnated bronze, but they seem to have the correct color.

To me, in order to be more bronze than brass, it must have more tin than zinc, but some of these marketers are selling alloys with 15% zinc and 2% tin as a 'bronze'.

Maybe I'm just overthinking this... I just want to be accurate with my clients. If I sell a knife with bronze fittings, that's what they should be.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 10-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Hall of Famer

From what I've read in some casting books if you want a plain copper and tin bronze you are going to have to make it yourself. All you need as far as material will be the copper, tin, and a deoxidizer. You will also need a crucible and some tong so handle it with and a forge to heat it in. You will also need some protective clothing to protect you as you pour the bronze into a mold.

Sand molds are not that hard to make but lost wax can be a little more challenging.

Doug

Old 10-14-2014, 06:39 PM
Skilled

Phosphorous bronze is pretty close to a classic copper/tin alloy, it just has a tiny bit of phosphorous added. It has a slightly different color than brass, and patinas differently... it also gets incredibly springy when work-hardened. It is a bit hard to find in good sizes for knife fittings.

Most makers use silicon (architectural) bronze, it is also more widely available in usable sizes.

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.

Tags
bee, brass, casting, custom, forge, handle, heat, iron, knife, knifemaking, knives, made, make, material, mold, tiny, wax