MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:58 AM

What temps to anneal 5160

Hi gang
hope you can help
Had my first play at making Damascus the other week at a work shop, all great fun .
The knife maker also gave me a length of round 5160 with the instruction to heat it up and flatten it out to take home and make a couple of knives with it Cheers Baz .

I have ruffed out the shape with the angle grinder (stick tang ) and profiled it .
But when I went to file in the shoulders and drill a hole I found the steel was hardened ?
Q1: has this happened through the forging it out flat / angle grinding ?
Q2: what temps will I need to get it to to soften it up so I can work these areas
Q3: At this point the only heat source i have is a Bernzomatic Propane torch is this going to throw the amount of heat needed ?
Q4: I also had the idea of hooking up the welder (mig) and giving it a blast on the end of the tang ,would this get me any where ?

Any help will be appreciated
Cheers Lee
Old 09-29-2014, 08:20 AM
Skilled

Lee, the torch you have will not give you a full anneal with that alloy but it my be able to make it so you can drill or file specific areas. If you can heat the area to turn a polished section light blue to gray, that should do the trick. Since this steel typically has .55 to .6% carbon you can find any heat source that will allow you to get it to nonmagnetic and then slow cool in wood ash, vermiculate etc... If you can at lest heat it to dull red you can cycle it there several times and that will do the trick as well. During forging the steel formed a nasty mix of very fine perlite and upper bainite, phases that are rough on files and drill bits, so you need to reheat them a bit to break those phases down. If you still have issues with the drill there could be some course chromium carbides that need to be moved with higher heat, but that is not as likely at this carbon level.

Tags
5160, angle, damascus, drill, file, files, flat, forging, grinder, grinding, heat, home, instruction, knife, knives, making, shop, steel, stick tang, tang, throw, wood