MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:29 AM

Now this is heading in the right direction. Bryan thanks for being patient with the process and also giving them a second chance.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-06-2006, 06:07 PM

Ok...I actually recieved the blade back before Christmas but Bell Helicopter had taken a Christmas hiatus. Alex tested it at 60 rockwell and stated so on the paper work. It also had the trademark indent. I gave it to my Dad today. He is going to test it in the same location, on the hidden tang part of the knife. I'm literally waiting by the phone for him to call. Will post results when he does.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:35 PM

62.1 !!!!!!!!!!! I am very happy with the results. I'm scratching my head about the other knife.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Living Legend

It may be one of those flukes you never figure out, Bryan. "It" happens sometimes, unfortunately.

I'm glad your S30V blade turned out to satisfy you better!

Last edited by fitzo; 01-06-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:47 PM

I've had a lot of "it" in my lifetime fitzo.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to RJ Martin
I am just jumping in here, and I have only skimmed the posts here, but here are my questions/observations:

WRT the 53 Rc blade that was "pitted like the moon"-Did you grind all the scale off before it was Rockwelled at Bell?
The only way to get an accurate RC test is to have flat, parallel scale free surfaces.

RJ Martin
Knifemaker
www.rjmartinknives.com
Old 02-04-2016, 02:27 PM
Guru

I was the "heat treat guy" at a machine shop where I worked. Everything I knew I learned from a machinist book on heat treating and Blade magazine. We had a Rockwell tester and it had another setting on it as well as a Brinell scale tester. I believe the other setting was "d" and we never used it as it was never specified. I only ever used the Rc scale and it does have 0.1 tenth decimals in the "c" range. It would be an awful knife for skinning if it was that soft. My Gerber pocket knife was Rc 54 so 44.8 would be better used as a throwing knife.
There are no hardness scales that I'm aware of where 44.8 is very hard. Brinell for instance which is used mostly for minerals 50 Rc would be about 490 Brinell.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:51 PM

Kick-started a decade old thread... nice!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 02-05-2016, 03:11 PM
Guru

I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in there.http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/im...lies/smile.gif
Old 08-02-2016, 10:39 PM
Registered

Wow! I had totally forgotten about this thread. A lot has happened in the last 10 years. I'm the same person, just different user name because I couldn't remember my password and I have a different email address. What a tool I was for posting something like that. I started making knives again after about a 4 year hiatus and sent 4 knives to TKM recently. Technically I've been working on these 4 knives for about 7 or 8 years, off and on. I'm glad to say I'm very pleased with their service. One of them was an s90v from that same bar I bought from CPM! Never using s90 again though. It's just too much of a pain to finish out. Thanks for all of the patience and grace extended to me!

Tags
bee, blade, book, cpm, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, gerber, heat, heat treat, knife, knives, making, pocket, pocket knife, scale, scales, shop, skinning, throw, throwing knife