MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:49 PM
Skilled

Big news about what I am unveiling at the Blade Show

Debuting at the Atlanta Blade Show will be my first DVD and a whole new approach to heat treating information. It was over two years ago that Karen and I did some brainstorming on the drive home from Atlanta on how to best help all of the people who come to me looking for heat treatment information for their particular steel...and that is when the concept was born. I spent the next two years ramping up and buying the equipment to produce videos on heat treating today’s most popular alloys for bladesmithing. The idea is to take each alloy and devote my undivided attention to every aspect of its heat treatment, backed up with lab work, to produce a package of completely objective and solid information.

I knew right away that the first video would be made for makers starting out with the some of the most user-friendly alloys there are: 1080 and 1084. For a couple of months, I sealed myself in my shop and metallurgy lab with these two steels and studied what is really happening during their heat treatment. I thought these were simple steels that I already knew inside and out; I couldn’t have been more wrong! Already this project is changing the way I look at steel and how we as bladesmiths heat treat it. I also found out that there is one thing more torturous than getting blades done in time for the Blade Show, and that is editing an hour and a half video! But, I felt it was necessary to see to it the information is all presented correctly.

I don’t think a day goes by when I am not told what a valuable resource my website is to those looking to heat treat a given steel. I can safely say that the website contains mere cliff notes compared to what I am able to present in an hour and half devoted to each steel. I have already begun testing and gathering data for the next “Kevin Cashen’s Guide to…” videos, which will include more favorites. So, coming soon will be my guides to 80CrV2, O-1, 52100, and others.

Last edited by Kevin R. Cashen; 05-27-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:31 AM
Hall of Famer

Good on you, Kevin!
Old 05-23-2018, 11:38 AM
Skilled

Thanks Don, it has been a long time coming. And one thing that I insisted on, especially for 1080 and 1084, was that I present information on how to get the most out of the steel with both and oven and a forge. There is lots of good metallurgy but I went out of my way to make it particularly useful for those using basic tools.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:46 AM
Steel Addict

I've bugged Kevin so much, I probably have all his info in my head, but I'll be the first in line to buy the DVDs. Thanks Kevin!
Old 05-24-2018, 12:35 PM
Skilled

Actually Stuart, there is a whole lot of new information from the DVD creation that I look forward to you bugging me about. We will see what we can do about getting from my head to yours!

Tags
1084, 52100, bee, blade, blade show, blades, bladesmithing, forge, heat, heat treating, heat treatment, home, how to, knife, made, makers, metallurgy, o-1, package, project, shop, show, simple, steel, videos