MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:20 PM
Registered

To anneal or not to anneal

I am new to knife making. I just picked up an antique cross cut saw with the idea that I would make a few knives from the blade. Based on what I’ve read l, I am working with the assumption that this is likely a high carbon steel. Does the steel typical of these types of old sol blades need to be annealed before beveling the knife and drilling holes for the scales?
Old 12-22-2017, 08:15 AM
Guru

I would say it depends on the exact steel but I would think a 3 step normalization would work....I haven't worked with carbon steel in a while but if I remember the general temps right it would include....heat till about 1600 deg. let cool (not to room temp just let the color fade and maybe 1 more minute) then heat to 1550 again let cool then heat again to 1500 deg and let cool completely I would think that would be enough to be able to drill and do bevels without a problem...it also may depend on how you are doing the bevels for example I can do bevels after its hardened on my grinder if your doing it by hand with files that wont work...there are a lot of variables AND this assumes that the steel blade is a good steel to harden...even when I used to use carbon steel I always used KNOW steels like 1084, 1095 stuff like that but again these days I used stainless so if my temps are off on the normalization somebody will chime in.

Tags
1084, 1095, 550, a, antique, blade, blades, carbon, drill, files, grinder, hand, heat, knife, knife making, knives, make, making, problem, scales, stainless, steel