MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:45 AM

3v

I have a 3V knife blade 60 hardness Pocket knife. It did really good for several months of sharpening . Then it got to where when it was sharpened didn't stay sharp very long.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:10 AM
Guru

Ga Red how much is it worn down?

On folders if they don't have a hollow grind they can get sharpened down to where they are quite thick and sharpening requires grinding a new bevel or spending a lot of time hand sharpening a new bevel. The reason being is as the blade wears down it gets thicker and you might tend to hone your edge at a sharper angle like 30+% and it doesn't cut as well at that bevel. How often do you sharpen it? CPM 3V shouldn't need to be sharpened very often.

That said, CPM 3V handles a very shallow bevel like 15 degrees and doesn't fold over as it is a tough steel at RC 60 hard. I have a hard time thinking the heat treatment on a folder would get dull after a few months easily. It is just something I haven't heard of with the 3V alloy steel. I hope you haven't used a powered sharpener because they can heat up the edge and make it softer.

That being said, who is the maker and do they have a decent warranty? Not many makers use CPM 3V and though it isn't stainless it is 7.5% chrome and corrosion resistant. I have used it a little with some 1/8" material and sent it to Peters heat treat. It is to me an excellent steel that needs to be used by more knife makers. It is better than A2 and many of the stainless steels in cutting performance. Tricky to heat treat though.

Last edited by jimmontg; 11-16-2017 at 02:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-16-2017, 06:00 AM

I made the knife . Peters heat treated it. I believe I got it to thin. I have been told 3V edge will roll. I thickened the edge . Good Lord Willing it will work now
Old 11-16-2017, 11:16 AM
Guru

I hope so to Red, let me know how it worked.

Yes any steel will roll over or worse chip if the edge is too thin and CPM 3V will roll before it chips at that hardness. Believe it or not some makers like to HT 3V even harder like to RC 62, but with the Vanadium content it is hard to sharpen and even with a diamond hone it takes awhile. I will sharpen a knife using silicon carbide belts on my 1x42 and I dampen the belt to help keep the edge area cool. I sharpen knives for my neighbors and some of those knives are remarkably hard and remarkably dull because so many people don't know how to sharpen them. Then I have to use the grinder to put the initial bevel on. I don't recommend using a grinder if you don't have any experience as it is so easy to turn the edge blue if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:16 AM

Thanks . Good Lord Willing I will get a friend to use it casterating bulls and see how he likes it. He already has one of my 3V knives to compare it.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:08 AM

Good Lord Willing the next marking blades in thin 3V will be hardened to 61. My steel supplier suggested that.

Tags
angle, bevel, blade, blades, degrees, edge, folding knife, grinding, hand, handles, heat, heat treatment, hone, knife, knife blade, knives, make, makers, material, pocket, pocket knife, sharpening, stainless, steel