MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:29 AM
Steel Addict

I use a kitchen convection oven with good success. The addition of several oven thermometers gives me a reliable number. The fan in the oven gives a good even heat.
I do use a Paragon for the initial HT itself. Just quicker to go to the convection for tempering being the impatient SOB I am. :-)

www.BirdogForge.com
Old 10-15-2015, 05:16 PM
Hall of Famer

I always hardened my blades, let them cool to room temp., then placed them in my wife's kitchen oven for 2 hrs.
at 300 degrees. I turned the Paragon furnace off so it would cool to room temp.

The next day, I placed them in my Paragon and brought it up to tempering temp. for the time required.

We called the kitchen oven step a "flash Quench". It prevents stress cracks due to rapid temp.changes.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:25 PM
Master

Don I did exactly what you do until I picked up the 2nd furnace....flash quench is an excellent option

Old 10-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Skilled

A lower temp HT to reduce stress before the actual HT is a great idea. Now I am just worried about what the paragon rep told me about +-50? F varaince when tempering. If I can solve that I can order today. I like what I hear about evenheat but I like the durability of paragon, and all the master smiths recommendations.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:29 PM
Master

Your going to buy a Paragon eventually.....

Old 10-17-2015, 09:38 AM
Steel Addict

:-)

www.BirdogForge.com
Old 10-17-2015, 10:11 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
A lower temp HT to reduce stress before the actual HT is a great idea. Now I am just worried about what the paragon rep told me about +-50? F varaince when tempering. If I can solve that I can order today. I like what I hear about evenheat but I like the durability of paragon, and all the master smiths recommendations.
I've never heard of that. It has a digital readout that doesn't vary more than 1 or 2 degrees.

If it varied that much the furnace would be worthless.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:31 AM
Skilled

The 50? variance is just going by what the sales person I talked to told me. I wouldn't think it would very that much. I was going to call yesterday and see if I could find a more knowledgeable rep, but I got buisy at work. As much as I himed and hawed at it I have always been leaning towards a paragon, just have to work up the nerve to click the buy it now button and watch the $1500+ drain from my account.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Skilled

The Paragon has no advantage over the Evenheat. So it's heavier built. So what?. That has nothing to do with performance. The Evenheat controls and thermocouple system may well beat Paragons. Mine never over shoots temp more than 2?. What more would you ask? Contact Tim Zowada for the best prices.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:32 PM

I know this doesn't help for sword making but I use a old toaster oven with pieces of hard fire brick laying between lower elements to help prevent temp swings. I then installed a PID controller complete with thermocouple and a small contactor to control just the original heating elements of the toaster oven. I removed and tossed all original temp controls of the toaster oven. According to the digital readout and multiple thermometers it keeps temps with a degree or two of set point.
I like using it rather than my HT oven for tempering.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:08 AM
Skilled

Through exhaustive research, and conversations with the engineers and owners of USA knifemaker, Paragon, and Evenheat I have come to the conclusion that the best bang for the buck is the Evenheat KF27 with Tap control.

The engineers at Evenheat said to properly temper in their kiln I would have to ramp up the temperature extremely slowly and suggested that i let them reconfigure the kiln so it was more of an tempering oven thus reducing the max temperature the kiln could reach.

Evenheats engineers said the unit would have no issues getting to hardening temps and once the oven cooled holding a tempering heat.
The program-ability, real time readouts, and tracking features of the tap system were so advanced Tracy (owner of USAknifemaker) said paragon would probably loose a good portion of market share until they could catch up with the tap technology.

As for the size the KF18 is the most popular, but as it is only $116 more to upgrade to the 27". The replacement coils are the same price and the added cost to heat the larger chamber is vastly outweighed by the additional 9" of usable length gained by up sizing.

Tags
1095, art, back, blade, bullet, cold, degrees, design, digital, forge, handle, heat, heat treat, help., hot, knife, knife making, making, problem, simple, small, stainless steel, steel, tang, temper