MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:09 PM

rotary table question

I am thinking that a rotary table might come in handy as I learn to use my mini mill more and more. So before I go out and either spend way to much or way to little I was wondering if those withthe experience could give me a few hints on what to look for. It will be used almost exclusively on either small knives or folders on my mini mill.
Thanks
Steve

Old 05-01-2012, 05:31 AM
Skilled

Steve...I am not the best person to be responding to this post, but I do have enough experience to offer an opinion.
I have worked as a machinist in the past, and have worked with both manual and CNC machines...and with both lathes and mills.
Admittedly, my knifemaking experience has been limited to making fixed blades, and I have zero experience making folders. I honestly cannot think of enough places where you could use a rotary table to justify the expense.
Obviously, you could use it in any application where you can use a mill, but as far as there being any advantage to using one...I can't see many.
Perhaps, there could be some advantage as far as cutting the redius on the end of a folder blade...or possibly in milling out a specific angle where a rotary could help in saving you some time. Without having folder experience, I am unsure of exactly what operations you would need to do where a rotary would be helpful.
The main advantage would be doing any operation where the piece would need to be re-oriented as in cutting a radius or milling out an angle or even a slot in a guard
Just my $.02 worth.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Steel Addict

What Ed said, Unless you got a smokin deal there aren't enough operations on your knife to warrant the set-up required. Now, if you scrounged one or had it given to you , ya just gotta take it. I do all of my blade lock profile with my redneck rotary table , a dowel in a plate that the pivot hole of the blade sits over and just turn the blade by hand to make your cut. add a couple of clamps for stops and bobs your uncle. Steve , if you need a better explanation give me a call. By the way I have 2 rotary tables at my beckoned call but don't use them much.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:04 AM

Thanks Ed and Paul
I keep thinking there have to be some neat things I can buy to take the knives tothe next level but I guess I just need to spend the time rather than cash.
Steve

Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 AM
Hall of Famer

That makes an easy job of milling clearance around the pivot hole on a slipjoint.

Tags
blade, cnc, knife, knifemaking, knives, lock, pivot, post