MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Registered

Pivot Pin/Screw Problem on Tactical Knife

Hello, this is the first time on this board and my first post. So thanks for reading. Before I posted I have done some extensive searching and really haven't found what I was looking for.

I picked a nice tactical knife from STI Tactical, its a P001 Bodyguard Knife. After only 4 days of practicing opening and folding, the pivot pin got loose, i tightened it easily and it got better for a little bit then became loose again to the point where the blade was not stable and wobbled. Eventually the pivot just came out entirely. I tried to screw it back on, but it would not tighten at all. At this point, I knew the pivot joint was done.

I tried looking for the exact pivot joint and screw in my hardware store and online but no success. Closest I found was:

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/produc...oducts_id=1642

It appears my pivot joint is a "D-Style" and the dimensions on my pivot are:

Pivot OD: 5 mm
Pivot length under head: 6 mm
Pivot head: 7 mm
(Torx T9)

Here are some pics:

Pivot screw is suppose to screw in, but instead now it just "drops in" and I can't tighten.

Another important thing is what the pivot and screw are made of, they appear shiny and almost polished in a circular fashion. I put it next to my cheapo Smith and Wesson knife to show the difference.

The knife was manufactured in France.

If anyone knows where I can get those pivot and screws, PLEASE tell me. I will be very grateful.

Also, is this my fault this happened? I literally babied this knife although this knife supposedly is designed for a tough terrain.

BTW, I did contact amazon.com and the knife manufacturer.

Thanks, any comments and feedback would be great.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Hall of Famer

Sorry no one has replied to you. We're not into fixing factory knives. This is a hand made knife forum ordinarily.

Looks like you stripped the threads in the pivot pin by over-tightening it. It must be made of inferior steel.

You probably won't be able to find a replacement in the U.S.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Skilled

Looking at the one on knifekits,it may work.If you have to shorten it you can drill a 5mm hole in a piece of flat stock,insert the pin and use a file to slowly take off some metal.
Bout my best guess without seeing the knife in person.
Stan

Old 01-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Registered

Thanks for your time guys. Either way, the word "tactical" and "folding" should not be together since the pivot joint is weak.

I will try the suggestion above. The manufacturer is sending me a replacement, but no doubt this will happen again if the nut is made of crap steel.

Tags
blade, first post, knife, knife making, knifekits.com, knives, pivot, post, tactical