MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:09 PM

a screw loose

I just had two of my folders come back to me because the pivot screw came loose. These are liner locks, gentlemens knives not hard carry, with the pivot screws tucked under the bolster. I always put a drop of blue loctite into the threaded pivot at final assembly but for some reason these came loose. Do you have any suggestions on how to ensure this does not happen again? Also, what do you do for your customers if they have to return one of your knives dur to a problem like this?
Thanks
Steve

Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 PM

STEVE,

You put a flat on the pivot pin and a small dent on the edge of the pivot hole in the liner.This stops the pivot from moving.It is covered in the Bob Terzoula book.I hope this helps.

Rick
Old 08-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Skilled

If it's a hidden pivot, that has no reason to ever need loosened or unscrewed, I would use some red loctite.

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword.... (Hebrews 4:12)

My YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/ARCustomKnives
Check it out and Subscribe!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Master

I don't believe they have become loose with the use of the blue Locktite.
What happened was the 5 pieces of 2 liners 2 washers and the blade were not quite together.Somehow a small bind is created that is not released even when the screws on the pivot are tightened.After some use of the blade the pieces do become close. The pivot and screws were now too long .
To avoid this problem once you have the liner lock assembled except for the bolsters and scales, place the folder on a hard surface such as metal or micarta with the pivot over an edge and give the assembly some gentle taps with a hammer. Now check if your blade is loose side to side by holding the leaf spring to the scale side and trying to move the blade side to side. Frank.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:03 AM

Thanks Guys
I will take a good look at the initial fit as you suggest Frank, I will also see if the idea of the flat on the pivot will work with my design.
Thanks
Steve

Old 10-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Skilled

+1 on the flat, it's easy to do and helps hold a drop of oil as well. I don't smack mine, but I do over tighten to where the blade won't move then back off till it feels rite. Of course I'm still a newbie folder makers so they get worn in pretty good from all the putting together, taking apart, ect before final assembly.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Master

This may be a mute point but 5 or 6 years ago I had the same problem with one of my liner locks. The problem stemmed from my drill being out of tune (true). Onet that was corrected I have not had anymore problrms. Also onse that the liners and pivot hole are drilled I always match them all up and use an endmill to ream them all out togather.
Curtis

Old 11-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Skilled

Good point, one of the things I do is super glue two pieces of ti together and drill ream both liners at once. After all the cutting and drilling is done it's easy to pop them apart.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Steel Addict

T usually c'bore my bolsters with a .156 Dia end mill, this creates an almost size to size fit and along with the screw head not being perfectly concentric to the pivot pin it keeps the screw from turning easily. Dan

Tags
blade, folder, hammer, hidden, knife, knives, liner lock, newbie, pivot, scales