MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:21 AM
Skilled

Using a file?

As I am learning im understanding there is an art to about all of knifemaking....even using a file. Most of my problems with the finish on my knifes is from getting to deep of scratches from my crappy file work... or is this normal? I have looked at tutorials and watched youtube videos on knifemaking but my knives never look that clean just off the file .
I am creating too much extra work trying to get these deep scratches out.
My files are new from Lowes. I dont remember what brand.

Does anybody have any favorite file tutorials they could post a link too or maybe some advice,tips etc ?
Old 09-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Master

The biggest help is to get a file card and clean out the swarf (the little bits of steel grit) from the teeth after every few strokes. They are what's causing the deep scratches. Rub some chalk into the file teeth and it'll help reduce buildup. In the old days they called the little steel chips that stick in the file teeth "pins." I still do, but I'm the only one I know of who does.

If that doesn't help, it may be the file. I have one file that "pins" on the first stroke, without fail, no matter what. It's now in the pile to be forged into something else.

One more hint: never, ever, ever, oil a file or allow it to get oily or greasy. That's the fastest way to clog one up.

Are you push filing or draw filing? That is, are you pushing the file across the blade longways, or are you pushing/pulling it along the length of the blade sideways? Draw filing usually leaves a smoother surface.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Skilled

Im draw filing mostly.
I think your on to something with the cleaning of the file......I have never cleaned mine.

I will try the chalk trick and I will call the steel chips "pins" also.

Thanks !
Old 09-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Hall of Famer

One problem I used to have when I started making knives with files is making sure they're flat against the metal, especially up against the plunge. You want to make sure that you don't twist your wrist so that the file rides up on a corner, gouging the metal.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Here's an example of a blade done with files. 11.0" Blade,full flat grind. Alot of hours.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1
Here's an example of a blade done with files. 11.0" Blade,full flat grind. Alot of hours.
WOW......Now thats a knife!
Awesome work. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Skilled

Hey Shank,

Another thing is pressure. It's real easy to get in a hurry or just get lost in the work. The first thing you know your really bearing down on the piece. Take your time. Let the file do its work. And concentrate on things like keeping the file flat as Nathan pointed out and long, smooth, even strokes as Andy indicated.

Oh, watch the drag angle. Changing the attack angle of the teeth by just a degree or two can dramatically change how smooth the cut is.

Good luck.

chiger,
Old 09-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Skilled

Well I did some fileing last night.....about 1.5 hours worth.....ugh.
Your tips did make a difference. One thing I noticed is the slower I go the faster I see results if that makes any sense. I was putting way too much pressure on the file and it was really clogged up when cleaned it.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 09-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Skilled

Hey Shank,

Yes, slowing down to speed up makes a ton of sense. If you pull or push to fast the teeth don't have time to bite. They'll just skim along and you'll end up putting more pressure on the file to make it cut. Sounds like you're coming to terms with the file. Good on ya'.

There was one other thing. Make sure that your vise and the work are as stiff and solid as you can manage. If either one is vibrating or chattering, it won't matter how steady your hand is. The more solid the clamping, the more aggressive you can be.

chiger,
Old 09-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Hall of Famer

There are 2 things that people can do when using a file that have always bugged me. One, is trying to use the file in both directions when the teeth of the file only go in one. The other is when someone is trying to push down harder on the file to make the work go faster. Standard files cut on the forward stroke, and the teeth are only so deep, and pushing hard doesn't make them cut any deeper. All you do is clog the file and wear yourself out faster.

Tags
blade, knife, knives