MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-21-2005, 01:20 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Dan
I agree with the crew here on getting the tree appraised before cutting it down. Many lumber folks have specific needs, and if its somthing that they can resell, or buy on speculation, it could very well pay your way thru college, or at least go a LONG way in buying shop equipment!

I had an oppritunity years ago. Our local church had had 5 Black Walnut trees cut down
(because they were so messy!!!) I guess they were, I remember ruining several pairs of Sunday clothes having walnut fights!!! LOL But having access to a front end loader, I made a deal with them to remove the stumps, if they would provide the dirt needed to fill the holes. I had 5 very nice root bundles, and all it cost me way my time and fuel for the machine. These set in our barn for a couple of years, I wasnt into knives heavy yet, but was thinking gunstocks. I Mentioned them to a local man who did fine furniture work, he offered me $1000 site unseen. Being young and eager to get $1000 for some "stumps" I took his offer................................. I often wonder what he got for them, as I asked him a year or so later. He told me that he sold them to a specialty lumber outfit up North. Never did mention what he got for them, I think he felt a little guilty to tell me!

I have a literally TONS of rough sawn walnut, 3- 8x16 trailers mounded up! it was given to me if I hauled it off. It has set under the eve of my shop in a large stack for 3 years as I have nowhere to store it. If you pay shipping, Ill send all of it you would like! Ive used several pieces of it and it is pretty, but rather plain. Did make some pretty hawk handles though.

God Bless
Mike

Old 01-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to DanCrabtree
Ill have to ask my dad about your generous offers. Thank you very much. But wow, a big old walnut tree is worth that much? I might be able to start buying steel and get a power hammer after all lol.

Knives can only be as sharp as their maker, So keep on hammering.

"All men die, Not all men really live." William Walace
Old 01-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Steel Addict

Thank you for your replie on stabilizing TJ it was very interesting. And a truck to haul it in Dan.

Tags
knife, knives