MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-21-2004, 02:11 PM

Assembling Slipjoint with screws???????

Ray;
I seen your slipjoint knife and read you assembled it with screws. I converted a old electrician
knife maney years ago assembled with screws and it worked fine for me, But I only did one as an experament. I have been
thinking on this for a few months now and was wondering if you E cliped the screw so some idiot could adjust tension on
blade BUT could not remove screw all the way out and have the blade go flying.
I've been trying to think of a way to accompilsh that safty factor. I have come up with a lot of different ways but do you
have a simpler way that I may use.
I am leaning toward the E clip Idea or dutch keying a nut on the end of the pivot screw and counter sinking it into the
bolster and then useing a cap screw to hide the works and make it pleaseing to look at.
Whats your Ideas on this subject??

Paul

Old 12-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

First, let me acknowledge that I am not an expert on slip joints and have only recently completed my first 3 of them. For my own reasons, I chose to assemble them with screws. Using screws on a slip joint is certainly not the traditional way of building those knives and I am not trying to convince anyone that it is a superior method. In fact, I find the idea comparable to a Newbie wanting to learn to grind a blade by using some kind of jig - it's a bit of a cop out.

That said, I still feel that it can be a useful cop out. It may not be possible to build a slip joint with screws in a way that a collector would find appealing but for many everyday type working knives it could be a useful alternative to pins.

To answer your question, Paul, I hadn't given the idea of adjusting the pivot any thought. My goal was simply to avoid having to learn how to peen the parts together. It is always useful to be able to assemble and disassemble a folder many times when building a new one, especially for a Newbie, and screws seemed like the right answer. I also built jigs that allowed me to test the spring and blade adjustment without putiing the knife together but still, the screws seemed more like the final word, i.e., a jig is a jig but the knife is the place where the parts will eventually end up. For those who can't wait to tell me, I am also aware that you can use 'try' pins and assemble the real knife for testing........thanks for mentioning it but I'm used to using screws.

I'm not sure it makes sense to worry about adjusting the pivot on a slip joint once the knife is finished. The blade on slip joints is usually left with a minute amount of slop so that the blade can move. If the pivot is the right length and the screws are Loc-Tited in place I don't think that clearance will change. At least, that's no worse a situation than the owner of a knife built with pins would have. Since the pressure on the blade comes from the top rather than the side as in a liner lock - and because the pressure is always on the blade - the clearance you build in probably won't get any larger and doesn't seem to make any real difference. We want a liner lock to lock up tight with no lateral play when the lock is in place but prior to the time the lock is set the blade does have lateral play. It has to or it would bind when opening. A slip joint always has lateral play, however slight, because the 'lock' is always in contact with the blade and the blade still has to move without binding.

Any of the methods you named could be used to prevent tampering with the pivot screws. Personally, I think that when I was sure the adjustment was correct and the knife was finished, I'd just grind down the head on the pivot screw until the Allen wrench or Torx or whatever would no longer work with it. That keeps the casual tinkerer out but still leaves a way for me to take down the knife if a repair is ever needed in the future..........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-21-2004, 09:01 PM

Thanks Ray

Paul

Tags
blade, knife, knives