MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 05-10-2002, 07:25 PM
D A Guertin

New at-home colouring technique...

Well, I remember Darrel or Alex saying something about baking the bolsters at 500 for about fifteen minutes to get a straw colour... Figured, 'eh, what the heck.' So I crank the broiler up to 550, and let the little laddies bake for about half an hour, hoping for a darker colour, maybe some reds, blues, greens ( I ain't too bright sometimes). Well, they were still straw. So I go searching for one of my old butane lighters (I quit smoking years ago, but you never know). Couldn't find one. BUT! I did find the trusty old Ronsonol lighter fluid. Pulled the bolsters out, gave them a bit of a bath for a few seconds (be VERY careful if you're going to try this), and got a nice little bit of a rainbow effect going now. Not too bad for a spur-of-the-moment idea...
Old 05-10-2002, 08:32 PM
Coop747

Ooooooohhhhh Boy!!! Hey, where were your parents???!!!

Well, I'm going to attach my liners to a set of jumper cables-----If I can get the clamps off before they weld themselves together, they should turn out nicely.....

...... NOT!

Thanks for sharing! !!!
Old 05-11-2002, 09:25 AM
clayton

gas stove

im gonna use my gass stove, i figure its fire
Old 05-11-2002, 04:30 PM
D A Guertin

well,

I'm not sure, but I think the part that makes it permanent is the heat, not fire. Have to wait on Coop or someone to confirm that though.

D.