MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-02-2002, 02:20 PM

Etch-O-Matic good or bad

Today I bought a Etch-O-Matic etcher that you make your own stencils for. I think it was new in 95' because there is a acecory order form that came with it that is dated 95'. I haven't had the chance to use it yet but how do these preform - is it good enough for a really visible etch like in a knife? You can probobly tell I don't know anything about etchers I aways just stamp my touchmark in.
thanks,
Old 09-02-2002, 07:09 PM
Living Legend

If it works, it should be fine for etching into knives.

What "Options" does it have? AC and DC? What is the voltage and ampherage outputs?

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 09-02-2002, 09:12 PM
Master

Etch -o-matic

I know of one other person besides myself who have owned one of these. In my opinion and that of the other person they are just junk. Frank.

Old 09-03-2002, 10:43 AM
Enthusiast

Josh,

It will work fine. I had one for a while before I got another more expensive unit. It has some limitations. Because the pad is part of the unit, instead of a separate smaller handpiece, it is a little less manuverable or versitile in how you can use it.

Also, the stencil blanks that come with it for 'do it yourself' stencils will not give as clean a mark as the commercialy produced stecils that Marking Methods and others can make for you. They are pretty reasonable price-wise and last a lot longer also.

The Etch-O-Matic works just like the larger units but without the versatility of separate handpieces or variable power options. Mine made marks as good as my 300.00 unit. My brother is still using it, it is 20 yrs. old, and his knives are professional quality.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:19 PM

etcher

Thanks guys, I think it works because I pluged it in and touched the clip to the metal mesh front and it sparked. Also it is a 1 amp and I thought I saw it was 110 volts but I can't find where I read that now. But if it don't work out its not like I have mutch in it.

Tags
knife, knives