MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Heading for "Hot-lanta"

I'm flying out in about 2 hours for the blade show. I should be back home on 3 Jun. Hope to see many of you at the show!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 05-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Hall of Famer

You lucky guy! Have fun, sell out, see what's hot, get back safe Ed! I'll be there next year! I hope all you guys that are going can take some photos of your set-up, and people that come by , other neat setups.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 05-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Master

Ed, have a safe trip, great show, and come back with lots of good stories.

Take care, Craig
Old 05-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Skilled

Safe travels, and sell the walls!

J

Old 06-02-2008, 11:36 PM

It was a pleasure to meet you ED. I hope the sales went well!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 06-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Well, I made it home last night around midnight..... still trying to clear the cobwebs outta my head, but my body is still on Montana time, so at 5:30am this morning, my eyes popped open and my day began. I'm trying to get everything back in its proper place, as well as catch up on all the emails and forums (that might take a couple of days)

The 2008 Blade Show is history. For me the show was a bit better than average. Just about everything I took that was sub-$1,000 sold, but anything over that figure seemed to get a lot of looks......then when the individual(s) saw the price tag, they shied away.

On thing that I thought was kind of strange (at least for me) was that I received about a dozen emails the week prior to the show, asking if I would have any Progression Folders. I took two, and brought two back home. Never did see that first person who had emailed me asking about them. Thats OK though, they'll be up on the website later this week for sale.

The crowd on Friday afternoon was much larger than what I've seem for the past few years. And Saturday about noon, the place was just packed. It did seem that many folks had specific destinations in mind, went there, and then took some time to wonder around.

The JS and MS judging went like this:
New Journeyman Smiths

Fuad Accawi (Peck Award)

Karl Andersen

Ronald Boydston

Dan Cassidy

Carlton Hallenbeck

Steven Kelly

David Sylvester

Brian Thie

Daniel Warren

New Master Smiths

Russ Andrews

Bill Burke

Sean McIntyre (Hughes Award)

J. Neilson

James Saviano

Henry Torres

I was especially proud to see my friends Steve Kelly, Karl Anderson, Brian Thie, Bill Burke, J. Neilson, and Henry Torres achieve their ratings.

I didn't spend a lot of time in "The Pit" this year, but changed my tactics and spent my evenings having dinner and sharing friendship with The Bybees' (Alpha Knife Supply), Steve and Melissa Kelly, and my good friend Jon Christensen.

With only me to man the table, I didn't get around nearly as much as I would have liked to, and I know I missed a lot of folks I wanted to see. I did sneak away long enough to pick up a few supplies, and to be flabbergasted at the price of Fossil Ivory! I went to one suppliers table to check out some Fossil Ivory scales.....I found a decent pair that was 5" X 1 1/4" that had just some hints of green in them. When I looked at the price...it was $635!!! Some guy came over to me and said that they were having a 50% off sale on that price...... $317???!! I know I made him mad, but told him that he was smoking crack even at that price.

In my opinion, the bottom line is that the economy, and the price of everything going up is impacting knife shows considerably. Some supplies were nearly double the cost of what they were last year, and folks were less eager to let go of their money for a knife. Nearly every person that came to my table tried to talk me down on price. I don't mind that, but its something that hasn't occurred all that often with me. Just one more sign of the times.

In the end it was a good show for me, and I will certainly be there in 2009.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 06-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Hey Ed, I really missed going this year. Been in a funk since the Oregon Show and I think the main reason was knowing I wouldn't be going to Atlanta. Did you miss my snoring? Thanks for the report!

Old 06-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Steel Addict

Hey Ed, glad to see you made it home ok. It was good sharing time with you at the show and in Minneapolis, StPaul airport.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Skilled

Ed

It was good to see you again. Thanks again for the help and support that you gave me in achieving my JS stamp.

Brian
Old 06-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Skilled

Hey Ed,

Glad to hear you had a good show and made it home safely. That's usually my favorite part of any trip.

I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to look at my knives and for your kind words and tips. I really appreciate your time.

Carey

You are cordially invited to check out my web site:
Handmade Knives by Carey Quinn
Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Master

Thanks for taking the time to do the writeup Ed, and Congrats! Brian. Thanks for letting me take a peak at your test knives.

Take care, Craig
Old 06-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Skilled

Thanks Craig! I was itchy to get my knives back, but I thought you could get some pointers by looking at them with Ed.

Take care
Brian
Old 06-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Registered

I wish I could have made Blade this year. I still havent been to one. If only I had the funds, I would snap up a progression in a Heart beat. I hope it was a good time!!!!

Your friend in Troy

Ed
Old 06-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Skilled

Cool To Brian T.

Congrats Brian on passing your JS! Did you have anyone at the show attempt to purchase any of your 5 JS test knives? Some collectors want to buy those. I also noticed you signed your test knives, some won't mark their knives for fear of screw-ups with the test. I believe that shows confidence! ---Jon

Old 06-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Skilled

Hey Ed,
Hope you had an uneventful trip back home (and the hat made it safely too). It was great seeing you again this year, checking out your work and gaining more valuable tips and info. You've been a great support to me over the years and I do appreciate it. Maybe they'll move me closer next year so we can throw things at each other.

Member of the ABS, EPKCA, NJKCA

Tags
blade, knife, knives