MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast

Adding a speed pot to a digital VFD

Calling all electronic gurus....

Here is what I have and what I want to do with it.

Baldor 2 hp 230V 3 phase motor, Leeson SM2 Series VFD fed by 240V single phase. The drive is push button with a digital readout and I would like to convert it to an analog dial. I know of a few people that have done it but they did not know what materials they used to get it done. I went by Radio Shack today but they were not much help. Every speed pot they had was rated for DC. Also the drive is not dust proof so I am in the process of making a sealed box with a hinged lexan window to view the readout on the drive. The dial will be mounted on the outside of the box so I can vary the speed without opening the box. Basically I am trying to set up what I have seen on some the KMG grinders that are on YouTube.

Sooo my questions are -
1- Can anyone tell me from the info that I have given to you, what speed pot (rating) do I need for this setup?
2- Am I making a mistake by going to this setup? What are your experiences with this?
3- Apparently Leeson has a good customer service that will walk me through how to wire it, but do any of you have this drive and if so have you wired one of these on?

Thanks in advance - Daniel

Tags
digital, how to, leeson, making, materials