MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:48 PM

Need advise on a motor

I am thinking of making a grinder and need to get a motor. I found some cheap brand new motors on eBay but raised a red flag when I saw that these motors are light weight. I wonder if windings in the motor might be aluminum. Has anybody here used a light weight motor?

Thank you in advance.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:00 AM

I didn't want to go with a light weight motor on eBay just to save a few bucks. I found a used WEG motor locally.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:18 AM

Are you sure about their product sold on ebay.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
My advice is... Pay once, cry once! In my experience, if you buy a "cheap" motor, you might as well buy 3-4 of them at the same time, because it's not a matter of IF they will fail, its WHEN.

For a grinder application you're gona want a TEFC (Totally enclosed fan cooled)....the motor in the link you posted appears to be a "open" motor (has the cooling cutouts in the housing)..... steel dust will get in there, and burn the motor out quickly in a grinder application.

I'd recommend looking at these folks: http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/LEESON-116594/

That link is to the motors I use on my grinders..... but if you look around, then have the best prices on just about any size/brand of quality motors.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 01-09-2017, 05:35 PM
Steel Addict

I won't disagree with Ed but if money is an issue there are some surprisingly good motors for not a lot of money.

By the way, most grinders I've seen and all I've used take 1 phase motors. If you shop doesn't have three phase power you won't want to go there.

My favorite comes from Grizzly, a 1 hp TEFC I use on a Rock saw. They are $190, less on sale. Mine has been working for years with no problems at all. (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Moto...ce=grizzly.com

An equivalent (spec wise) Lesson will cost about $100 more, a Baldor about $160 more. They might be better motors but........

I've even had great luck with the $159 Harbor 1hp Harbor Freight Farm Duty TEFC motor. Been working on a home built grinder for over four years - used several times a week, never a problem.

I have a friend that purchased a Grizzly Knife Belt Sander/Buffer(about $550) and LOVES it. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Knif...ce=grizzly.com Motor: 1 HP, 110V, single-phase, 14A
Motor speed: 1725 RPM
Old 01-10-2017, 11:56 AM

I purchased a 1HP farm duty at Tractor Supply for about $140 and ran it for many years before the switch went out. I have to plug it in and out to turn it on and off.
These days it sits on the shelf unused, but fully functional.

I use a 2HP farm duty Baldor these days. I like the extra power, but I don't think it feels 'twice' as powerful.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Tags
550, advice, baldor, bee, belt, belt sander, brand, buffer, buy, cheap, dust, g10, grinder, home, htm, knife, leeson, making, motor, products, sale, sander, shop, steel, supply