MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Hi Gary!

To make the VFD and 3hp/3phase setup work....all you need is 220v (single phase), a KBAC 29D controller (thats the VFD), and a 3 phase motor. The manual that comes with the VFD is very good at showing how to wire, and also gives all the information you need on the internal trim pots and other settings on the VFD. And if you need any help, just let me know.
I was a little spooked on the first one I put together, just because it was something "new"......but come to find out that it's easy.

Just make sure that you get a GOOD motor....don't waste your money on a "no name" brand of motor..... with the prices the outfit listed in the first post offers....there's no reason not to get a Leeson. The only motor that I would place above the Leeson is a Baldor.....but those are general BIG bucks.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 10-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Steel Addict

Okay, so on your word Ed, I ordered two of the Leesons (don't you hate it when someone starts a post like that?). I only had time to hook up the KMG today since it is so easy. Finally!!!! Finally I have the grinder that I've always wanted! Thanks for the info Ed.
Can't wait to hook up Square Wheel tomorrow.
Now, is anyone interested in a couple of 3hp 3ph 3450rpm Baldors? Just kidding! I'll find a use for them.
Cheers,
Bob

Last edited by Bob Hartman; 10-12-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Steel Addict

Ed, Maybe I should've started a new thread for this, but. . . I just got to thinking about my spare motors & controllers. What do you think about hooking up the original 1-1/2 variable speed off the KMG to a Delta 14" Bandsaw to make it a steel cutter. I think right now it runs a little over 3000 in/min.. If the motor on it is a 1725 rpm it should work. With the variable speed set at 10% that would be 300 in/min.. Hmmmmm. . . .
Bob
Old 10-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
If the parts on the Delta saw can handle, I'd say sure.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Tags
awesome, back, baldor, bee, brand, build, building, design, easy, first post, grinding, guard, hammer, handle, home, knife, leeson, make, making, post, problem, steel, supplies, surface, video