MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Hall of Famer

For me, it was the Koval family that got me started in making knives from kits. When I first moved to Columbus I was out getting to know the area, got lost, and decided to turn around in the parking lot of a small business complex. I looked up and the sign in the window read Koval knives. I parked the truck, walked in, and got hooked.

Years later I went into the store to pick up some supplies and Troy Koval told me his parents had passed away earlier in the year and that they had closed the week before and were merging with Jantz.

I was making knives and letter openers for the groomsmen in my wedding, and ended up searching online for the parts I needed. I found the TKS site, and the link to the Knife Network and all the helpful folks here.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:53 AM
Registered

I doubt anyone would know his name, but a man named Mel Ferris, who owned a custom knife shop in Corte Madera California, took time to encourage my knife making and show me work by custom knife makers.
He was running a business and actually had the patience to explain custom knives to me, and even introduce me to other knife makers.
He has long since passed away, but, his kindness and willingness to share his knowledge are not forgotten.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Skilled

I don't know that I had a single or few mentors at first. I got online looking for a custom knife to buy and found this website first. I found a website on knifemaking, before I found a knife for sale. I looked at all the knives on this site and couldn't get over how they looked. But I would defintely thank all those here who helped me start this journey. I emailed Dwayne Dushane when I first found this site because I loved his knives and noticed he was just a few miles from home. If I had known better, I honestly would have been too embarrassed to email him. I loved looking at Dwayne's and Frank Niro's knives.
Funny thing is Mr. Niro sold me a book I had been searching for high and low a few years ago (I can't believe it's been that long ago) Recently he's been a HUGE help and on helping me with liner locks. We've gotten to be friends. Also Jerry McClure has had me in his shop, and helped me start looking at my knives differently. I was always afraid to try different things and he's got me to trying it. All three make extremely classy folding knives. I consider these guys at the top of their game, and thank them for their inspiration and help wether directly or indirectly by answering questions for EVERYONE on here.

Last edited by doublearrow; 07-09-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Steel Addict

Another student of Gil's here. Like AUBE, I got into collecting knives when I discovered Gil's factory line. Later I met Gil, took one of his knifemaking classes and he hasn't been able to get rid me since.

Steve, you have offered me tips and advice and even signed my application to the Knifemakers Guild. The Guild and it's members have been an incredible source of information and education about knifemaking.

Buster set an incredibly high bar for us all but it is a great goal to shoot for. The simple elegance of Scagel's knives keep me mindful of form and function. The amazing integrals of Ron Best remind me that even the relative newcomers can teach us a lot. The meticulous attention to detail in Gray Taylor's folders demonstrate patience and remind me that even great old knives can be improved.

The others that have influenced, inspired and helped me are too numerous to list. I almost never come away from talking with a knifemaker without learning something.

The generosity and brotherhood among knifemakers is simply amazing and I enjoy that as much as making the knives.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Stoba
I doubt anyone would know his name, but a man named Mel Ferris, who owned a custom knife shop in Corte Madera California, took time to encourage my knife making and show me work by custom knife makers.
He was running a business and actually had the patience to explain custom knives to me, and even introduce me to other knife makers.
He has long since passed away, but, his kindness and willingness to share his knowledge are not forgotten.
Mel was certainly a great guy who did a lot to further the cause of custom knifemaking. He deserves our thanks! We all have had great and kind and generous support from many along the way.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Last edited by Steve; 07-10-2009 at 01:26 AM.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives