MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 02-03-2003, 01:18 PM
Master

History?

I know this isnt the
history forum but here goes..

Ive heard several times how
during the Civil war they
would cut the horns off
of anvils.. Thinking that
would stop them from making
horse shoes.

How did they do this back then???
8o 8o 8o

Old 02-03-2003, 03:34 PM

Ahem, excuse me, but it was only the North who practiced this, and only on Southern Anvils, and it was for the purpose of keeping Southern farriers from making or fixing horse shoes for the Cavalry. How they cut or broke them, I don't know--wouldn't have wanted to be the striker on that one.

We never came up there and messed with y'all's anvils. Where was the Geneva Convention when we needed them?

Old 02-03-2003, 03:47 PM
Hall of Famer

A big ole Northern BOY powered by navy beeans with a big ole sledge.

Score around the horn with a chisel and whack the snot out of it.

I think I would have just buried the anvil some place outta the way would have been a lot less work.

Old 02-03-2003, 08:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
thinking the river would have been a better idea!

So thats why they had so many square horse
shoes in the south!!

#### them carpetbaggers and the war of Northern Aggression!

Old 02-04-2003, 08:00 AM

Southerners & Yankees

Three Southerners and three Yankees are traveling
by train to the Super Bowl. At the station, the
three Northerners each buy a ticket and watch as the
three Southerners buy just one ticket.

"How are the three of you going to travel on only
one ticket?" asks one of the Yankees. "Watch and
learn," answers one of the men from the South.

They all board the train. The three Yankee men
take their respective seats but all three
Southerners cram into a toilet together and close
the door.

Shortly after the train has departed, the
conductor comes around collecting tickets. He knocks
on the toilet door and says, "Ticket please." The
door opens just a crack and a single arm emerges
with a ticket in hand. The conductor takes it and
moves on.

The Yankees see this happen and agree it was quite
a clever idea, so after the game, they decide to do
the same thing on the return trip and save some
money. When they get to the station, they buy a
single ticket for the return trip, but to their
astonishment, the three Southerners don't buy any
ticket at all.

"How are you going to travel without a ticket?"
says one perplexed Yankee.
"Watch and learn," answers the men from the South.
When they board the train the three Northerners cram
themselves into a toilet and the three Southerners
cram into another toilet just down the way. Shortly
after the train is on its way, one of the
Southerners leaves their toilet and walks over to
the toilet in which the Yankees are hiding. The
Southerner knocks on their door and says, "Ticket
please".

"IN THE SOUTH, THE PAST ISN'T DEAD...IT ISN'T EVEN
PAST" -- William Faulkner

Old 02-04-2003, 12:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Since I think I'm quite possibly the Yankiest member of the CKD by virtue of living way up in Vermont...

Sorry about the anvils, Gentlemen!

jloose.com

Old 02-04-2003, 12:52 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Everytime I go to Savannah (couple of times a month) I have a strong desire to thank you Yankees for not burning it down, too! However, every time I drive in Atlanta (couple of times a month) I wish you would come back for another marshmallow roast!

"Yankiest???" I'll have to look that one up...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 02-04-2003, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Hey ya'll here's one from a fellow southerner (born and bred in Ole Miss) who now lives out West-

Fifteen ways to avoid a good Southern butt whuppin' Issued by the Southern Tourism Bureau to ALL visiting Northerners

1) Don't order filet mignon or pasta primavera at Waffle House. It's just a diner. They serve breakfast 24 hours a day. Let them cook something they know. If you confuse them, they'll kick your butt.

2) Don't laugh at our Southern names (Merleen, Bodie, Ovine, Luther Ray, Tammy Lynn, Darla Beth, Inez, Billy Joe, Sissy, Clovis, etc.) or we will just HAVE to kick your butt.

3) Don't order a bottle of pop or a can of soda down here. Down here it's called Coke. Nobody gives a flying #### whether it's Pepsi, RC, Dr. Pepper, 7-Up or whatever...it's still a Coke. Accept it. Doing otherwise can lead to a butt kicking.

4) We know our heritage. Most of us are more literate than you (Faulkner, etc.). We are also better educated and generally a lot nicer. Don't refer to us as a bunch of hillbillies or we'll kick your butt.

5) We have plenty of business sense (e.g., Fred Smith of Fed Ex, Turner Broadcasting, MTV, Netscape). Naturally, we do, sometimes, have small lapses in judgment (e.g. Duke, Clinton). We don't care if you think we are dumb. We are not dumb enough to let someone move into our state in order to run for the Senate. If someone tried to do that, we would kick her butt.

6) Don't laugh at our Civil War monuments. If Lee had listened to Longstreet and flanked Meade at Gettysburg instead of sending Pickett up the middle, you'd be paying taxes to Richmond instead of Washington. If you visit Stone Mountain and complain about the carving, we'll kick your butt.

7) We are fully aware of how high the humidity is, so shut the hell up. Just spend your money and get the hell out of here or we'll kick your butt.

8) Don't order wheat toast at Cracker Barrel. Everyone will instantly know that you're a Yankee. Eat your biscuits like God intended - with gravy. And don't put sugar on your grits or we'll kick your butt.

9) Don't fake a Southern accent. This will incite a riot, and you will get your butt kicked.

10) Don't talk about how much better things are at home because we know better. Many of us have visited Northern hellholes like Detroit, Chicago, and D.C., and we have the scars to prove it. If you don't like it here, Delta is ready when you are. Move your butt on home before it gets kicked.

11) Yes, we know how to speak proper English. We talk this way because we don't want to sound like you. We don't care if you don't understand what we are saying. All other Southerners understand what we are saying, and that's all that matters. Now, go away and leave us alone or we'll kick your butt.

12) Don't complain that the South is dirty and polluted. None of OUR lakes or rivers have caught fire recently. If you whine about OUR scenic beauty, we'll kick your butt all the way back to Boston Harbor.

13) Don't ridicule our Southern manners. We say sir and ma'am. We hold doors open for others. We offer our seats to old folks because such things are expected of civilized people. Behave yourselves around our sweet little gray-haired grandmothers or they'll kick some manners into your butt just like they did ours.

14) So you think we're quaint or losers because most of us live in the countryside? That's because we have enough sense to not live in filthy, smelly, crime-infested cesspools like New York or Baltimore. Make fun of our fresh air, and we'll kick your butt.

15) Last, but not least, DO NOT DARE to come down here and tell us how to cook barbecue. This will get your butt shot (right after it is kicked). You're lucky we let you come down here at all. Criticize our barbecue, and you will go home in a pine box . . . minus your butt!

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:39 PM
Enthusiast

I might add one thing to Chuck`s post . Down here in Dixeland we eat grits and not Cream of Wheat (yech!),and we don`t eat sugar on rice either!!!
Old 02-04-2003, 10:02 PM
Steel Addict

Saw ths bumper sticker in Georgia a while back:
"We Don't Care HOW You do it up North"

Trish
Old 02-05-2003, 01:41 PM

bumper stickers

"Snowbirds, Open Season - NO LIMIT!"

"So Many Snowbirds - So Little Freezer Space!"

Riffiki
Old 02-05-2003, 01:46 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
My favorite Southern bumper sticker: A large mosquito saying "Send more Yankees -- They're delicious!"

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 02-05-2003, 07:49 PM
Master

Vermont?

Jonathan, the last time I went to Vermont a fellow sold me a wooden nutmeg!

Old 02-05-2003, 07:51 PM
Master

recent history.

and you CAN make fun of the new KY ####### plate all you want. It features a Walmart style happy face in a cartoon landscape with the motto "It's THAT friendly." Courtesy of the Love Gov.

Old 02-05-2003, 09:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Richard,

Are you sure you weren't in Connecticut? By Jeezum them wooden nutmegs all come from down there. Flatlanders... the lot of 'em. Ain't gut time for that up here... I gut cows to milk!

The way I see it, New England proper don't count none of them Southern states like Rhode Island or Connecticut... it's practically New York City down there! Folks from Massachusetts aren't nuthin' but weekend warrior ski-bunnies and New Hampshire is entirely populated by tax evaders from Away! Maine is O.K., I suppose. Decent folks, but they talk funny.

Ha! How odd is it to you real Southerners that NYC is considered the Deep South up here?

jloose.com